how much air space in ez-cap bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellijo89

Reaction score
So I've been bottling all my beers to date in 12oz bottles, leaving about 1 inch or so of air space at top.

But today i bottled in 16oz ez-cap bottles and 1liter ez-cap bottles, when filling them i started thinking about if the change of capacity should change the amount of air room at the top. I gave it more then usual, and just did what looked right to me.

In the end, is there a standard for each of these bottles on how high to fill them?

thanks,
josh

A good rule of thumb with any bottle is fill it to the brim with the bottling want inserted all the way. Pull it out, and whatever volume the want displace is now your headspace.

A good rule of thumb with any bottle is fill it to the brim with the bottling want inserted all the way. Pull it out, and whatever volume the want displace is now your headspace.

Yep, do this.

This is what I do as well, I have 12 and 22 glass, .5 and 1L PET and do the same with them all, so far so good.

Back