How many weeks @67 deg Cali Dry Yeast 1.061 OG IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffceo24

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

How many weeks in fermenter? 2 or 3? I used Cellar Science Cali Dry Yeast and have been fermenting at 67 degrees in a mini fridge with an Inkbird. Fermentation took off and was vigorous. I used a blow off tube because an airlock wont fit in the fridge, it was bubbling constantly for 2-3 days. Beer cleared up and seemed to finish activity after about 4 days. OG was 1.061-1.062. Coming up on 2 weeks this weekend. I am wondering if I should raise the temp a bit to help it finish off or let it sit for longer. I am always worried about taking a gravity sample because of contamination and also wasting ounces of beer. Thanks!

You did not mention what style beer you are making, some styles can be fermented and kegged/bottled quickly, some not. Cali Dry yeast, so assume an ale. Only way to really tell it's done is to take a gravity reading and then take another tomorrow and if they are the same, it's done. Airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation, just a sign of excess CO2 blowing off. Just an FYI 2-3 weeks is the normal time to wait for most ales and you can usually start raising the temperature up after 3-4 days to help finish the beer and let the yeast clean up after it's self.

It is a Simcoe SMaSH IPA. What is the recommended temp to raise it to to finish fermentation? Thank you

Back