How many ways can one intentionally screw up beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLNanoBrew

Reaction score
So the other day a coworker gave me a Williams Brewing starter kit with buckets and an American Ale kit he received in 2000. Everything was vacuum sealed and still packaged. I threw most caution into the wind and decided to boil the almost 9lbs (thick as molasses) LME, used 4oz of hops (1 Nugget, 2 Mosaic and 1 Citra) left over from yesterday’s brew for the whole boil plus what looked to be 1/2oz of hops called “Aromatic Hops bag #3” from the kit and some yeast that came with the kit. I’m sure the yeast isn’t any good but threw it in a flask and set it on a stir plate for a few hours. Pitched it at about 72*. I’ll monitor the temps but just curious to see what happens. Anyone care to speculate?

You're braver than I am. Especially with the yeast...haha.

If anything fails, it's obviously going to be due to that. You plan on repitching fresh if/when fermentation refuses to start?

[QUOTE=You plan on repitching fresh if/when fermentation refuses to start?
Maybe, This was just an experiment just to see if using sealed/aged ingredients would even work. My fermenter will probably never forgive me.

Last edited:
Hahaha...sweet. Should be interesting how it turns out. What type of yeast? And...what *was* the expiration date? Haha. Good luck!

That is fricking hiliarious. Please let us know how that turns out. I am amazed that it got to work that quickly.

Nice, guy at work gave me a mr beer kit after I brought in a bunch of samples for him to try... it’s dated use by 2007... I’m waiting for a night shift I have to cover and making at work and letting ferment in my locker in the barrel and give to him

Back