How many styles of beer do you have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so I posted a question a while ago asking how many recipes you all have in the bullpen ready to brew at any given time. Now, I am thinking how many already brewed beers to you all keep at the ready, done and brewed? I typically have two, one in a keg and one in bottles. I am trying to get a routine going so I can use the yeast at least once or twice before I have to dump it due to no space in the freezer to keep it. Just thinking out loud.

i always have a lager in the winter or kolsch in the summer on tap. i try to have a stout or two ready by november to keep on tap til february.
i never brew ipa 's or ambers or wheats.

i also try to keep a cider on tap year round

I serve four kegs, and on scant occassion I'll bottle off a keg for whatever reason.

In addition to the serving kegs, I try to keep one or two regular beers kegged and ready to swap as well as all (1-3) of my barrel aged beers kegged as well. On top of that, I try to have 1-2 beers in carboys either fermenting or aging.

That all said, I usually get a sack or two of malt and a yeast and go ham on that style until I run out. I shoot for 30-50 gallons per yeast pack. For variety, I'll usually do that with two styles simultaneously. Up to six quarts of yeast slurry takes up a chunk of fridge space.

I have 7 taps. Not always filled, not always 7 different...but that is what I can support...

Currently, I have a hazy, an NZ Pils and a belgian blonde pouring. The pils is for a local brew fest our club is pouring at tomorrow.
I tend to brew something different everytime just because I like variety. Although I am developing a list of what turned out well for rebrew.
My next brew is a Mexican Lager I'm doing for my brother's 70th

My kegerator holds one 5 gal and one 3 gal keg so I generally have those two filled and occasionally something else in bottles. The 5 gal is almost always some kind of light lager and the 3 gal is whatever I’m experimenting with or a style I know I don’t want a full 5 gals of. I generally make 2 gal batches for bottling and those are always styles that I want to age a bit.

six taps, three with hazies, one wcipa, one fruited wheat, and the stout on nitro.
I used to keep an ESB and a Saison on tap, but the hazies took those over. They're relentless ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have about 1/2 a keg of IPA on tap, and a Mexican Lager doing a d-rest right now, and will keg and start lagering tomorrow. I also have several gallons of watermelon wine I made almost 3 years ago, and about 4.5 gallons of hard limeade in mini-kegs.

I have about 1/2 a keg of IPA on tap, and a Mexican Lager doing a d-rest right now, and will keg and start lagering tomorrow. I also have several gallons of watermelon wine I made almost 3 years ago, and about 4.5 gallons of hard limeade in mini-kegs.
whats hard lime aid . that sounds good. is it carbed or still and just forced out of the keg ? is it fermented or just kegged vodka with juice?
could you post recipe.

whats hard lime aid . that sounds good. is it carbed or still and just forced out of the keg ? is it fermented or just kegged vodka with juice?
could you post recipe.
Recipe couldn't be more simple:
10 cans frozen Limeade (or lemonade, or mix them)
8 lbs table sugar
1 sachet EC-1118
Yeast nutrient (very important)
Enough water to bring it up to 5 or so gallons

Let it ferment for a few weeks
Sorbate and k-meta for 2 or 3 days
Backsweeten/flavor-enhance with 2 more cans frozen limeade
Keg and keep it at just enough psi to push it, or drink still, or make it sparkle; your choice. If it's fizzy, it's very refreshing. The longer it sits, the smoother it gets until you eventually have a citrus wine.

I have two beers on tap (plus about a 12-pack commercial), and ingredients for another brew on hand. Have a keg of wine too, but that's resting for a while yet.

That's quite a lot for me actually, since I hadn't brewed a batch for quite a while.

This is my HB drinking rotation right now. I also have a couple of other dark beers, a couple of meads and a few ciders aging. I should really stop making stuff and just drink for a while!🤔🍻
IMG_20240510_174753.jpg

Last edited:
OK, so you made me go count how many recipes I have archived in Beersmith. Almost 350. About 270 of those are historic recipes and the rest split between clones and random things I've picked up here and there (books. magazines, online).

I've only scratched the surface when it comes to making those but what I typically make are porters, stouts, bitter/pale ales, mild ales, brown ales, Scottish ales, Belgian styles, IPA, and lagers.

I usually have 2 or three different types of beer bottled at a time, with one or two ciders as well. I make small batches (6L finished product) so I tend to brew fairly often but also go through my bottled batches quickly. Beer-wise, I stick to ales, mostly pale, amber, adjunct, stout, and porter. I reuse my yeast many times! I have stopped keeping count and usually just get rid of it if it gets beyond a few months in the fridge or if the beer it was used in was particularly weird.

I have 4 taps, and room for 3-5 gallon carboys and 1-2 gallon. I usually try to have 1 apple cider, 1 cran-raspberry cider, 1 ale and 1 small tester.

BottlesABV %Cap ColourDate BottledQuantity
Munich Dunkel 5.4%Silver11/12/231️⃣9️⃣
Munich Helles5.5%Gold 🟢18/1/242️⃣4️⃣
Belgian Blonde 6.2%Purple23/1/241️⃣9️⃣
Moose Drool5.0%Red28/1/241️⃣9️⃣
Erdinger 5.5%Yellow6/2/241️⃣4️⃣
Sierra Nevada 5.5%Silver11/2/242️⃣2️⃣
Kwak 8.4%Black12/2/243️⃣2️⃣ 33cl
Leffe Blonde7.1%Light green19/3/242️⃣6️⃣
Modelo4.7% Light blue8/4/243️⃣3️⃣
Kegs
🛢19 L Sea Fury5.0% 13/1/24Nearly gone
🛢 19L 5 Points4.5%17/2/24
🛢19 L Summer Lightning 5.1%15/4/24
These plus an American Amber which is carbonating.

9 taps
-California Common
-Vienna Lager
-Czech Premium Lager
-Brown Ale
-Czech Dark Lager
-Kolsch
-Helles Export
-Irish Stout
-Hefeweizen

In deep storage (ok the other frig), a Doppelbock. On deck, from Big Brew Day, APA and a Lichtanhainer, both about 2 weeks out.

Our club does a "wheel of beer" thing each quarter where we randomly pick a number and letter to select a style. If you want to join, you brew it. Something to get you out of your comfort zone, thus the Lichtanhainer. We also started an ingredient thing, this quarter Nelson Sauvin, something to show off this hop, trying it my APA? We'll see.
Also need to get my Oktoberfest going.

BottlesABV %Cap ColourDate BottledQuantity
Munich Dunkel 5.4%Silver11/12/231️⃣9️⃣
Munich Helles5.5%Gold 🟢18/1/242️⃣4️⃣
Belgian Blonde6.2%Purple23/1/241️⃣9️⃣
Moose Drool5.0%Red28/1/241️⃣9️⃣
Erdinger5.5%Yellow6/2/241️⃣4️⃣
Sierra Nevada 5.5%Silver11/2/242️⃣2️⃣
Kwak8.4%Black12/2/243️⃣2️⃣ 33cl
Leffe Blonde7.1%Light green19/3/242️⃣6️⃣
Modelo4.7%Light blue8/4/243️⃣3️⃣
Kegs
🛢19 L Sea Fury5.0%13/1/24Nearly gone
🛢 19L 5 Points4.5%17/2/24
🛢19 L Summer Lightning5.1%15/4/24
These plus an American Amber which is carbonating.
HOLY BEER CRAP, BATMAN!!!!!! Now you are a neighbor I need to have. LOL.

OK, so this now gets me thinking. How long do you keep these? And, do you have many friends, relatives or family members that come over for beers? I find the keg lasts me between 4 to 5 weeks and the bottles about the same depending on how much I like them. LOL. Is having that much beer on stack going to hurt the quality of the beer?

My fridge can hold 3 kegs, but I only have two taps set up. But always have a pipeline going. Dunkels Bock and Czech Amber on tap, Cream Ale cold crashing and waiting to go on, American Lager fermenting and a small batch of Perry aging and clearing slowly. Next week brewing an American Brown, so that will go in the pipeline soon too.

Back