How many shoots....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obie

Reaction score
....is too many shoots for one trellis line? I used steel cable, so weight isn't a factor. Mine are all second year plants except for my new fuggles that is still just a little guy. Im not too concerned about overall hop weight and production, just need to know if too many rediciulous vines growing together can "choke" each other.

IMG_20160511_110723.jpg

I've seen up to 3 on a bine from growers on the forum. I keep it to 2 max, just in case one breaks early.

I've done several at a time. The don't seem to "choke" each other, but it does get kind of thick in there, and sometimes they shade the flowers enough to cause them to remain smaller and lighter in color.

3-4 is what I'm going to shoot for this year I think. Just to keep the weight down, make harvesting easier, and see how much production I get compared to previous years. If I ever get out there and weed the beds and get them started, that is...

I think most commercial growers go 2-4 bines per plant. So 2 bines per string. I try to keep mine at 4 per plant. With less bines the hop will focus growth into those bines giving you better growth and yield.

Back