How many of you do short boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NGD

Reaction score
Curious how many others do short boils and what your experiences have been? I recently tried a 30 min boil and I have to say its pretty damn sweet to knock off a half hour. According to beersmith my hop utilization wasnt that greatly impacted. Samples would indicate thats likely true.

Are there any styles you wouldnt want to try this with?

I think short boils can work with lots of styles, especially when you brew using very modified, paler malts ( just toi be safe, I would still boil 90 minutes with very light coloured malts, such as Pilsner, Lager, etc. ).

I stopped using classic bittering additions and now only add hops in the last 15 to 20 minutes in the boil.

Curious how many others do short boils and what your experiences have been?

All of my extract+steep recipes are currently 30 minute boil (previously they were either 45 or 60 minute boil). I adjusted the bittering hop addition to keep the estimated IBUs consistent and the beer comes out fine.

Are there any styles you wouldnt want to try this with?

My experiences suggest that if the extract-based recipe is good with a 60 minute boil, shortening it to 30 minutes should result in a good beer (or at least a good first attempt).

Have you looked into the 15 minute boil idea or some of the "no boil" hop experiments that Basic Brewing Radio has talked about?

I've been doing 30 minute boils for a month or so (since I've returned to brewing). Of course, I typically use specialty malts, so there's still the 20 minutes of steeping before the boil, not to mention the 10-15 minutes it takes to bring the kettle to boiling temp once the specialty grains are removed.

My beers still suck, but I don't think it's the short boil, it's my recipes.

Allways done short boil since starting the hobby.

But this is not a sound advice as everyone equipment is different what matters most is the potency of the boil I assume. The 60 rule is as dumb as it can be.

I had no problem with 30 min boil using 100% floor malted pilsner either (40 bjcp certified comp/no hint of dms...). I think my 3300 watt kettle is a bit too potent for 10L batches. ;)
Save time as well for the NEIPA which are mostly 15 mins boil for me since the whirlpool is at least 30mins.
Works perfect for me but maybe I'am missing something not boiling for 60/90 in some recipe some depth of flavors(highly doubt about this one?!)

As said above YMMV and it's mostly about knowing your equipment.

I haven't done a boil over 45 minutes in a long time. I chose 45 because I saw a chart showing maximum bitterness extraction at that point. My current favorite IPA uses a 30 minute boil. Actually both are a bit longer as I start timing after hot break.

Thank you for your responses. Looks like I’m in good company. Recently speaking with a brewer and a grad from the UC davis program I was advised to keep the boil short and to think of it like reheating leftovers. You dont fully re-cook leftovers. It was a simplified explanation but makes sense.

@BrewnWKopperKat Havent looked into the no-boil method yet. Temped to do a few micro batches and work on getting a hop-tea down.

@matzou I agree, doing the 60min rule is proving to be unnecessary. While I love brewing, I have many other hobbies and a limited amount of time.

@JohnSand Seems like I came across something about full hop utilization around the 20 minute mark. If you have a link available I’d like to read up.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
You may want to look into using alpha extract for bittering- that way you break all links between boil time and bitterness. Makes a lot of sense for short boils.

You may want to look into using alpha extract for bittering- that way you break all links between boil time and bitterness. Makes a lot of sense for short boils.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look into it.

f1fd18ff5b4c05ae68d33426271a59fd.jpg

I don't know the origin of this.

You may already know this but Brulosophy has done lots of ex-beeriments on this subject and has had great luck with both 30 minute mashes and 30 minute boils, even with lagers. Interesting stuff. I've not tried this yet as I enjoy a nice 4-5 hour brew day but it's something I plan on doing one day.

3 batches ago I switched from a 60min to a 15min boil on my heavily (late) hopped Citra Pale Ale, which I've brewed 7 times total, and noticed no adverse side effects when drinking the 60/15min side by side. Both hop schedules consisted of 15min/Whirlpool/Dry additions. The only other difference was a change in the amount of Crystal 40 which has the anticipated change in maltiness. I continued 15min boils for 2 batches after (tweaks to specialty gains and hop schedule) and noticed nothing other than the expected changes.

I also just brewed a Citra Hefe (1oz Citra @ 15min) with a 15min boil, should be ready in a few days. This is also a recipe I've done several time, except mostly with traditional Hefe hops. Not sure how well the Citra will mingle with the bananan/clove but if I like it I may start doing 15min boils/late hopping more often simply due to the convenience.

... I typically use specialty malts, so there's still the 20 minutes of steeping before the boil ...

When I'm brewing extract+steep (crystal or roasted malts), I will typically steep the crystal/roasted malts from "flame on" until the water temperature gets to around 160F (typically around 15 minutes). No lost time for the extract of the sugars from these specialty malts.

If my recipe needs malt flavors that I can't get with DME, crystal malts, or roasted malts (for example Maris Otter), I will brew it as a BIAB recipe.

Recently speaking with a brewer and a grad from the UC davis program I was advised to keep the boil short and to think of it like reheating leftovers. You dont fully re-cook leftovers. It was a simplified explanation but makes sense.
Edited for clarity

The other "cooking" related analogy I'm aware of when it comes to brewing with extract is that "extract brewing is like making a cake from a box". Personally, I find that neither analogy is useful to me for brewing great extract+steep beer.

The approach that most extract kits take for using extract (DME/LME) is a good start. DME/LME can be a direct replacement for the matching base malt. It works - people who brew with kits have a good first brewing experience. I don't brew kits, so I won't spend much more time on this approach.

To me, the approach that's most interesting is deciding to think of fresh DME/LME as a first class base malt with unique characteristics. "Instant wort" can be a fun tool when brewing.

I started doing 30 min boils earlier this year and backed off to 45 mins just to give myself a little extra time and I always have everything measured out and ready to go. 30 mins goes quick :D

I also do not fear DMS, never an issue even with an all pils grist...

Started with kits and then went to all-grain but back to experimenting with extracts due to time commitments.

Last batch was a 15 min boil.

3 lbs 2-row
6.6 lb golden light dry
3 oz Amarillo
3 oz Citra
3 oz Lemondrop
05-yeast

Steeped grains, brought to boil added extract, some hops at boil then again at 5 min and 10.

Cooled, added peels, pulp and juice from two oranges.

Added yeast at 1.5 hours after start.

Dry hopped with remaining hops at 7 days.

Bottled at 21 days.

Really enjoying these right now. Perfect summer brew. Going to try and repeat with a batch next weekend.

I usually boil for 30 to 45 minutes. My mash is usually a full hour, but sometimes I cut that short (45 minutes.) I only do hour long boils when using mostly pilsner malt.

Whenever I do anything extract based I just bring my water to or near a boil, put the extract and hops in a bucket and dump the water on it. Then I just go about my business and let it cool on its own. Sometimes it comes out a tad hazy but nothing a short stint in the fridge can't take care of.

45 minute boils are very interesting to me, but the hop schedule is what i would have the biggest questions about

What's the concern? Yes, you'll get maybe ~80% of the bittering compared to a full length boil, but you can compensate for that with some extra hops. Or just use alpha extract and boil time for bittering becomes irrelevant.

What's the concern? Yes, you'll get maybe ~80% of the bittering compared to a full length boil, but you can compensate for that with some extra hops. Or just use alpha extract and boil time for bittering becomes irrelevant.

Good point, would beersmith have those calcs when I change the timing of the boil, I think that I am going to that on my next batch, a 10 gallon IPA, 18 lbs 2-row 2 lb caramel 40 and citra @ 60, 20, 10, 0, and dry hop 2 oz, looking forward to it, cant be bad, right

Yep - it's a basic function of any brewing software, to adjust the predicted IBUs based on the boil time.

No need to waste expensive hops like Citra on bittering when you can use much cheaper bittering hops.

I did a no-boil earlier this year that turned out great. At 180F I added the extract and 8oz of various hops and walked away for 20 minutes, then chilled and pitched. It used more hops than normal, but I needed to use of some in my freezer anyway.

I did a no-boil earlier this year that turned out great. At 180F I added the extract and 8oz of various hops and walked away for 20 minutes, then chilled and pitched. It used more hops than normal, but I needed to use of some in my freezer anyway.

Has anyone tried a no boil all grain? How does this work, is that temp enough and amount of time enough to do the same thing that a 60 min boil does.

I usually boil for 30 to 45 minutes. My mash is usually a full hour, but sometimes I cut that short (45 minutes.) I only do hour long boils when using mostly pilsner malt.
Wouldnt the DMS be removed during the creation of the extract.

One thing I’ve noticed with my last short boil is its considerably more hazy than previous batches after a few weeks. Thank goodness for gelatin

Wouldnt the DMS be removed during the creation of the extract.

One thing I’ve noticed with my last short boil is its considerably more hazy than previous batches after a few weeks. Thank goodness for gelatin

I did not notice this is an extract brew thread. Sorry. :oops:

I did a no-boil earlier this year that turned out great. At 180F I added the extract and 8oz of various hops and walked away for 20 minutes, then chilled and pitched.

5 gallon batch size? What hops or hop combinations have you tried using?

I've had great results with the same temp/time (180 for 20 min) with Citra (1 lb DME and 1 oz Citra per gallon of water). But so far, other combinations (amarillo, centennial/cascade) have come out "just OK" at the 1 oz hops per gallon rate.

I have only brewed twice so far. Pale ale 15 minute and a hefe 60 minute, both extract kits.
Pale ale 3 gallon steeped specialty grains on heating.
1 oz Amarillo at 15 minute
1 oz cascade at 10 minute
1 oz mosaic at 5 minute
plenty bitter and aroma and flavor is great best pale ale ever. Like others have said it uses slightly more hops but was fast to brew. Bought chiller afterwards because chilling took longer then the boil.

Back