How many kegs on a #10 co2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdphillips73

Reaction score
Just filled my co2 10 lb bottle for the first time and had no idea it would turn out to be such a hassle. I had to drive 60 miles round trip only to find out that I had to drop it off and return the next day... meaning 120 miles. Talk about a hassle. It made me wonder... how many kegs can be carbonated on average with 12psi set it and forget it carbing?

Lots...I have a 10# and only fill it 2 or 3 times a year with 2 taps/kegs running off the tank. Make sure you have no leaks or youll be out in a week

If I had to travel that far I would get another tank and fill 2 while I was there. That way you should be covered for a year..

I have a 20 lb tank and get about 20 kegs before the tank goes empty

That seems low. I seem to get close to that many on a 5# tank. If this was my system, I think I'd be doing some checks around seals and QD's to make sure all is tight.

Just filled my co2 10 lb bottle for the first time and had no idea it would turn out to be such a hassle. I had to drive 60 miles round trip only to find out that I had to drop it off and return the next day... meaning 120 miles. Talk about a hassle. It made me wonder... how many kegs can be carbonated on average with 12psi set it and forget it carbing?

I know the hassle you are talking about. The fill station is putting your tank in the freezer to cool it so it will accept the proper volume of gas. Some find it easier (me included) to simply swap out your empty for a pre-filled cylinder sitting there ready to go. Understood you'll lose your brand new shiny tank, but I always ask the worker to get the best looking tank they have. Some I get this way look brand new.

That seems low. I seem to get close to that many on a 5# tank. If this was my system, I think I'd be doing some checks around seals and QD's to make sure all is tight.

Are you using the 5 lb tank to serve only? Or are you carbing with it too?

Both lightly carbing and serving. But I see your point that if you are force carbing you'll use more gas. I typically keg and add a touch of priming sugar to the beer and let it do some natural carbing on its own at room temp. After a week or two, I'll place in kegerator, apply gas and let it finish off from there. It is a good technique if you have the time to let it ride.

I use a 5lb tank and get about 10-11 kegs off of it. That is a full force carb and serving until kicked on all kegs. I also use it to purge my headspace whenever I need to go into a carboy or keg.

My friend has a 20lb tank and he is currently on his 29th keg (same routine as me - full force carb and serve for each keg) and he still has over 5lbs left in it. So yeah I'd say you're losing gas somewhere pal, or perhaps they're not filling it as much as you think. At the same rate you're going through it, that would mean our 5lb tanks should only carb and serve 5 kegs. I get at least twice that amount off of a 5lb tank.

I also don't have to drop mine off overnight. To get it cold they just fill it with a small amount and then purge multiple times. Makes it ice cold in no time, and they fill it while I wait there (5-10 minutes).

Back