How many jalapeños for 5 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
So, I've used habanero before so I've got that figured out but habanero's are much much stronger than jalapeños. I will be doing a beer in a few weeks that is a Watermelon Jalapeño Wheat and am wondering how many jalapeños you all would recommend to give a bit of burn but still be drinkable where you can have several. For my Imperial Habanero Pumpkin Stout it came out awesome both times I've brewed it. It left a nice warm heat in the throat but didn't keep getting stronger so it led to a great beer you can drink several pints in a row no problem. Kinda want the same thing as this will be a spring/summer beer. I'm thinking so far 3-4 whole jalapeños for 5 gallons steeped for the last week?

Rev.

Good question. Japs are finicky. I've gotten store bought duds and then massive tear jerkers. For me, I'd recommend 2 deseeded. Any higher and the flavor dominates regardless of the heat. I did 1 with a 3.5gal batch of a mango/Jalapeno hard lemonade. I was happy.

I'm interested in what peppers do to a beer. What exactly do peppers do to the taste/flavor of a beer.

Never used peppers in a beer, but thinking how the flavor/heat will complement other flavors.

I'm interested if they would complement Belgian or Saison yeasts.

Japs are finicky. I've gotten store bought duds and then massive tear jerkers.

Thats exactly what I was thinking... You should try them first and then SWAG it. I've had some Jalapenos that are up there with Habaneros and others that were like bell pepper.

Serrano seems a bit more consistent and has a great flavor too..

I'm interested in what peppers do to a beer. What exactly do peppers do to the taste/flavor of a beer.

Never used peppers in a beer, but thinking how the flavor/heat will complement other flavors.

I'm interested if they would complement Belgian or Saison yeasts.
The oils in fresh jalapeno gives the flavor. Deseeded them first is wise otherwise it'll probably be undrinkable. Done with hard lemonades and limeades. Used the same bucket with a PA after one of these. That PA got flavor still from the bucket. Was the best PA I ever made.

So, I've used habanero before so I've got that figured out but habanero's are much much stronger than jalapeños. I will be doing a beer in a few weeks that is a Watermelon Jalapeño Wheat and am wondering how many jalapeños you all would recommend to give a bit of burn but still be drinkable where you can have several. For my Imperial Habanero Pumpkin Stout it came out awesome both times I've brewed it. It left a nice warm heat in the throat but didn't keep getting stronger so it led to a great beer you can drink several pints in a row no problem. Kinda want the same thing as this will be a spring/summer beer. I'm thinking so far 3-4 whole jalapeños for 5 gallons steeped for the last week?

I've used jalapenos many times. For minor noticeable warmth but good drinkability, I would go with 6 or 7, well chopped, seeds and all. Any less than that and you'll get flavor but not much heat. If you want very mild tingle, then 4 or 5 should be okay. I wouldn't use fewer than that unless you want no tingle at all.

Rev.
Now you've heard all sides...^^^[emoji48][emoji48]^^

I've used jalapenos many times. For minor noticeable warmth but good drinkability, I would go with 6 or 7, well chopped, seeds and all. Any less than that and you'll get flavor but not much heat. If you want very mild tingle, then 4 or 5 should be okay. I wouldn't use fewer than that unless you want no tingle at all.

Cool thanks! That's what I was starting to think because habanero's are around 40x hotter than jalapeno's and I find one whole habanero chopped up seeds and all is enough for 5 gallons.

Rev.

Poor Baby is German and thinks that beer is better when it tastes like beer, not like chili... Or chocolate... Or bacon... Or cheesecake....a bit old fashioned.

I'm of primarily German ancestry, but born and raised here. Have been to Deutschland a dozen or more times. I love German beer, but brewing new and interesting things makes brewing exciting for me and for all those I share it with.

Rev.

Back