How many hop pellets in a pot of coffee before your wife notices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill9000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I must be getting awfully bored of being stuck in the house. Today I added one Cascade hop pellet to the coffee filter basket wondering how it would taste and when my wife would notice. I seem to taste a difference (for the better) but my wife hasn't said anything. Going to keep it at one for a few days before going to two.

Wow, I thought, what a great idea..

I know I'm a freak, I like my coffee iced, black, and not that cold brew stuff, but good old fashioned coffee, brewed, chilled, and poured over ice.

So I pulled out some chinook, buried 6 or so pellets in the grounds, and brewed it... I set it to "rich brew" which i think just slows it down?

Long story short, it adds some piney mintyness and a surprising amount of bitterness.

I'm not sure that piney mintyness is a good match for coffee.

I might try with another hop, but it might be a while.

Wow, I thought, what a great idea..

I know I'm a freak, I like my coffee iced, black, and not that cold brew stuff, but good old fashioned coffee, brewed, chilled, and poured over ice.

So I pulled out some chinook, buried 6 or so pellets in the grounds, and brewed it... I set it to "rich brew" which i think just slows it down?

Long story short, it adds some piney mintyness and a surprising amount of bitterness.

I'm not sure that piney mintyness is a good match for coffee.

I might try with another hop, but it might be a while.
Pine and mint means Christmas coffee!
Lol
Add some sugar, heavy cream, and a fancy name and it'll be $6 a cup at the coffee shop.
:ban:

Tried just a moment ago, went through the freezer and found an opened bag of bramling cross, took a good sized pellet and threw in the coffee press with the grund coffee.
I who knew it was there think I tasted a slight increase in bitterness and a liiiitle hint of blackcurrant, don't seem like you would think of it if unnaware though. Will try 2 tomorrow and update with results :yes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back