How many CFMs for my basement vent hood?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finishing my basement and along with, moving my brew equipment indoors and going electric. We are going to install a small (large) kitchen area downstairs and I will be brewing on the stovetop with a couple of heat element boosters. I don't want to turn my basement into a mushroom farm, but I'm not working with chemicals either. So what kind of CFMs am I looking at?

I have so far only brewed 5 gallon batches, I may (probably won't) move up to 10 so I want to consider if that changes things.

What I've found sofar is the "standard" at the box stores is about 400-500 CFMs but I can buy the hood and fan separate and get up to 1000+ CFMs, however that gets pricey.

Also to consider, the vent will need to run up about 1-1/2 feet up and out to clear the cement wall. (I hear that will reduce the actual CFMs)

So, am I good with the 450 model, or should I be shooting for 800-1000?

yeah baby!

I think what I am looking for is if anyone has had bad experience with a "standard" vent hood that was rated around 400 CFM and wishes they went larger? Or, if there is a consensus that 400 is fine, or if there is a minimum value?

I know the "standard" vent we had in my house growing up pushed up and out the roof of our ranch home, but there was really never very good suction. The vent we have in our main floor kitchen now, vents back into the kitchen area, which is good for traping grease in the filter, but not at stopping the humidity.

What's the size of your heating element? With electric you are only worried about heat and steam, and the 1.5' isn't going to affect anything.

Well, it will be atop an electric stove with the addition of 2 2000 Watt elements mounted to kettle.

I figure have all three getting a boil going and turning off one, and/or reducing the stove as required. I'd like to keep boiloff down to a gallon per hour.

You should be fine with a 400 cfm hood. The 800-1000 models are for when you start using 6-burner Vikings, and even then it's overkill. A general rule of thumb for an electric stove like this is 150 CFM per foot of hood. Bring in some makeup air down low if your basement has a gas furnace.

Latest posts

Back