How many are brewing Lagers in 2019?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are you brewing mainly in 2019?

• Total voters
My next beer will likely be a lager of some sort as the missus likes to drink it. I’ve done a Pilsner and a Kölsch, so a Vienna might be nice.

I've brewed 2 so far this year, a Fizzy Yellow Lager last week and an Amber Lager two weeks ago. With the weather warming up the unheated part of my basement will probably be too warm for lagering in another month, so I probably won't brew any more until November, or so.

I will do a number of lagers and cream ale brews throughout the year. My current brew plan is 10 Gal German Pils next weekend, 5 Gal peach/cranberry/raspberry dry-hopped kettle sour, 10 Gal Vienna lager, 10 Gal California Common. Not too sure what I'll brew beyond that, maybe a Czech Pils and then Cream Ale. I'll see what strikes my muse when I get to that point.

I brew lagers regularly and I have a munich Helles fermenting right now, and I always make a marzen, a doppelbock, and a dunkel in time for fall

I have a Munich dunkel, helles bock, and pre-pro lager that i brewed on consecutive weekends in January. All are sitting at 32F currently in my chest freezer. Couple of more weeks and I'll start bottling.​

I mainly brew ales, but I do try to get 3 to 5 lagers in throughout the year. Love to brew and enjoy lagers and have a separate chest freezer dedicated to lager the kegs, but they do take up some time before they are ready and that is the only downside.

John

Bottled a Standard American Lager and a dark lager on Sunday, then turned around and brewed a Classic American Pilsner and a Lite American Lager yesterday pitching the yeast from the Standard for both. After these, I'm doing a few ales as my pipeline will probably be running low.

When my ale stocks are up, I’ll do one or two before summer. I pitch a truckload of wy2042 at 6c, let it rise to 8-10c and leave it for two weeks, then keg and leave for another few weeks.

With my 10th year of homebrewing behind me, I've decided to focus this year more on brewing lagers to enjoy and maybe some beers that my SWMBO would enjoy. With that style it definitely requires some scheduling with the available equipment and when you want to be able to enjoy the final product. Last year was lots of hoppy stuff.

I'm mainly planning on brewing double/triple batches (I have a few people w/o equipment that I am fostering into the hobby) of the following from Gordon Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes" book:

Stout
- Irish Stout - ready prior to St.Patty's day

Ales
- Classic Blonde
- Flanders Red - aging for a year

Lagers
- Helles - ready by the end of May
- Nothing But Vienna - have made before and am looking forward to brew again
- Killer Kolsch
- Dark American Lager

One of the things I like about this book is the addition of water treatment using RO water which I put in last year. Definitely made a difference in my brewing since I have well water as my water source.

What are you brewing this year?

Stouts are ale’s, generally.

You should edit original post to say ale or lager

I've got 2 kegs of lager brewed so far:
#1 is a "session" brew recipe East LA Lager from John Palmer via the experimental brewing web site
#2 is a New Zealand Lager with Kohatu and German Huel Melon hops
#3 is going to be a hoppy Kolsch type lager
#4 will probably be an American adjunct type lager with 6-row, rice, fermented with Bock yeast.
If I have time for #5, its going to be a lemon shandy or similar type of brew.

I just started lagering this year. All grain. I have done a pale American (5 gallon), liked it so much I made another (10 gallon batch). Vienna lager 5 gallon) was absolutely fantastic. Might try a black lager next.

I just finished lagering a Austrian Märzen, now bottled. I am going to try to bottle lager a German Märzen next week after carbonated. I thought about trying a warm fermented Vienna and then bottle lager.

Dean

Onto my 6th lager of year so far.

Helles
Czech Pils
Farmhouse/Landbier style
Helles Spezial
Farmhouse/Landbier style
Czech 10p Pils

Been using Sauergut additions for the last three and really stoked on the results. Gonna Krausen the Helles and latest Landbier with the Czech 10 next week.

Thinking my next will be a Czech Dark lager.

I really want to brew an American pilsner as I have no idea what the difference is between German pils. After that I want to try a New Zealand pilsner and have another go at a rice lager.

Already on my 2nd lager of 2019! Made a Pilsner In January and for spring I brewed a Golden Bock

IMG_4828.JPG

Here’s my Bock before it dropped crystal clear

I really want to brew an American pilsner as I have no idea what the difference is between German pils. After that I want to try a New Zealand pilsner and have another go at a rice lager.

American Pils? Probably whatever you want really. Use US pilsner malt and/or hops and/or "American" Lager yeasts. Looking to lighten the flavor too? Sub in rice and/or corn for some of the base pilsner malt.

Back