How long will yeast keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
I put a few packages of 71B-1122 yeast in the refrigerator in July of this year. Very soon, I'll start a gallon of muscadine wine must. Will this yeast still be good to use? I'll follow with a second gallon in a few more weeks, maybe a month. Am I good to go on both gallons?

As long as dry yeast satchets are kept refrigerated, I've read from others on this forum that they only lose %2 viability every month. You're good to go for a while.

Archeologists have found thousands of year old living yeast cells. At that 2% per month, and a billion cells or so to start, I think they are good for a while.

I think it will keep almost forever. I know that's not the right answer, but freeze drying sort of keeps it in suspended animation. Think about "Planet of the Apes" (the original!). How long were they in that space ship? And you KNOW that's scientifically accurate. Same with yeast.

Your best bet is to follow the "use by" date stamped on the package of yeast, some of the yeast cells will be viable longer, but leaving it to chance when a packet of yeast can cost as little a $1.00 - $2.00 is a no brainer.
A proper fermentation is such an important part of wine making, I'll always use fresh yeast.

You should be good, if your iffy on it, make a starter must and see if the yeast takes off, that way if its not so good you really haven't lost anything.

No disrespect intended, but why risk having a crappy fermentation when wine yeast is very cheap, you run the risk of several potential issues with old yeast, use a fresh packet.

Your best bet is to follow the "use by" date stamped on the package of yeast, some of the yeast cells will be viable longer, but leaving it to chance when a packet of yeast can cost as little a $1.00 - $2.00 is a no brainer.
A proper fermentation is such an important part of wine making, I'll always use fresh yeast.
Where can you get yeast for $1.00?? My LHBS sells dry yeast for $5.00

Edit: Just noticed its for wine,must be different than beer

Where can you get yeast for $1.00?? My LHBS sells dry yeast for $5.00

Edit: Just noticed its for wine,must be different than beer

Wine yeast is cheap for some reason. Even less than a dollar some places. I don't know why!

Usually Munton's and Coopers are cheap beer yeast, but not as good.

I'm unaware of any wine supply stores in my area. I buy online and pay shipping. No big deal, but I bought yeast a few months ago and kept it in the fridge. Just askin' if it's still good. I think I'll be fine. About to start a batch of muscadine wine. May start another fruit wine shortly thereafter...blackberrry? Black cherry? Gonna look around and see what's out there.

Back