how long will slurry last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
I pulled a pint of slurry from my IPA on monday... thought I was gonna brew in 2 days but I won't be able to till sunday night/monday morning... is it still good to pull and use straight away or should I use a starter?

MrMalty says week old slurry (properly handled, presumably) will maintain 84% viability. Whether you need a starter or not is dependent on how much slurry you have, how big a beer you're going to brew with it and the volume of that brew. All can be answered by the same tool...

Cheers!

i've used months old slurry out of the fridge and into the fermentor (after bringing to room temps) and it took right off. a few days or weeks is nothing.

kewl, I was just going to do another batch of the same IPA (about a 6% brew at most) and the slurry was nearly 1/3 (maybe 1/4th) of the total cake so it was quite a bunch.... I'll just pitch and go tomorrow when I brew

kewl, I was just going to do another batch of the same IPA (about a 6% brew at most) and the slurry was nearly 1/3 (maybe 1/4th) of the total cake so it was quite a bunch.... I'll just pitch and go tomorrow when I brew

for a beer between 1050 and 1060 i pitch somewhere around 1/2 cup of slurry.

I use month old (sometimes older) slurry all the time. After a month though I will wake it up with a small starter before pitching though

sweet. so 8 days for a standard IPA will be no problem... will be brewing later on today...

Latest posts

Back