How long will rhizomes last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogopunx82

Reaction score
Just received 25 rhizomes the other day. Got 6 of them in their beds but don't have the time currently to get the rest in the ground. How long will they be able to stay in the fridge. Btw the bags have some moister in them.

For what its worth I was on a mini vacation when mine arrived from Thyme Garden. My father in law was staying at our home while we were gone. He called me when they came in. I had him place them in a Ziploc bag with a folded piece of moist napkin. They lasted five more days in the fridge no problem. Theyre currently flourishing in their planter now. You could probably call the folks where I got mine, The Thyme Garden, and they could give you a more definitive time frame, they're really friendly.

Mine actually got stuck in a fridge for 2-3 weeks before I got to them. I was very skeptical as to their viability, but they took right off. (Only to be later dug up, I **** you not, by random horses).

Just received 25 rhizomes the other day. Got 6 of them in their beds but don't have the time currently to get the rest in the ground. How long will they be able to stay in the fridge. Btw the bags have some moister in them.
if you can, get them out of the bag with a little air moving around them (if not regularly, at least occasionally). i kept mine in the fridge sealed in the bag, and after 2 weeks a layer of white fuzzy mold grew over them. as it turned out this wasn't the end of the world, the mold can be washed off (search the forum for a weak bleach solution you can use although i only used water), but it's probably better to prevent the mold from growing on your 'zomes in the first place.

calling the vendor and asking them for insight into storage is also a good idea.

Back