how long will CO2 protect my beer in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bru-ster76

Reaction score
How long will the CO2 layer stay on top of beer and protect it if the beer is left undisturbed?

I'm starting to get nervous about oxidation of my 5G in a 10G fermenting bucket with a loose fitting lid.

I've lifted the lid slightly and peeked in here and there, but the beer has been undisturbed for 2.5 weeks.

Should I be concerned?

Why not rack? I wouldn't have opened it. That 2.5 weeks is nothing to be worried about though, just if your planning on keeping it there much longer. I don't think oxidized is as much as of concern as providing an environment bacteria can breed.

Why not rack? I wouldn't have opened it. That 2.5 weeks is nothing to be worried about though, just if your planning on keeping it there much longer. I don't think oxidized is as much as of concern as providing an environment bacteria can breed.

I was advised to keep it in the primary for 3-4wks and not rack to a secondary. I've been following that advice, but started to get concerned when the krausen went away.

If your ferment'er is air tight and the air-lock is filled; you have some time, try to racked in less than 8 weeks. But your not air tight and you opened it bringing in more air. Don't feel bad most new brewers do this. But the safe home for the beer has been messed with, get it out of there now, assuming you have reached FG. Then buy a carboy.

If the Krausen went away 2.5 weeks ago, then you could probably just bottle it.

You could leave it undisturbed for months. As long as the lid is on so air currents don't stir up the CO2 it will stay where it is since it is heavier than air.

how long will CO2 protect my beer in primary?
Not long after fermentation is over if you've opened the lid or have a leak.

Diffusion often masks gravitational effects. For example, if a relatively dense gas (such as CO2, carbon dioxide) is introduced at the bottom of a vessel containing a less dense gas (such as H2, hydrogen gas), the dense gas will diffuse upward and the less dense gas will diffuse downward. It is true, however, that at equilibrium the two gases will not be uniformly mixed. There will be some variation in the density and composition of the gas mixture; at the top of the vessel the gas mixture will be slightly less concentrated, and there will be a slight preponderance of molecules of the less dense gas. These differences, which are due to gravity, are almost impossible to measure in the laboratory, although they interact with other factors in determining the distribution of gases in planetary atmosphere.

I would rack it, keg it, or bottle it. Considering it has been almost twenty days w/ 5 gal in a 10 gal vessel that has been opened periodically...you are rather "open" IMO.

Latest posts

Back