How long will a tapped keg last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzski

Reaction score
Gonna build a keezer but want to know how long a keg will last once tapped

As long as it takes you to drink it. ;)

The co2 tank maintains pressure on it so it doesn't lose carbonation. If you are careful not to oxidize it while judging it can last a long time.

Typically, I go through a keg in a month or two.

Out of curiosity, keggers, how long have you kept around a homebrew on tap? My guess it that you could keep it (refrigerated homebrew) about as long as the comparable bottled homebrew, but I've never tried that experiment. Anyone jump through that hoop?

Like Yooper said, you can keep a keg (just like bottles) as long as the beer will stay good for. If you have a beer that ages well like a barley wine, it could last over a year. If you have a beer that doesn't age so well like a fruit beer or even an IPA, it can last 6 months or so. The beers that don't age well will still be drinkable but they won't taste as good as they did after 1 month of aging. The flavor of the fruit and hops will disappear over time.

Ok I know wrong thread but how big do I need for say 6 kegs or a few kegs and a carbon for lagering?

benzski said:
Ok I know wrong thread but how big do I need for say 6 kegs or a few kegs and a carbon for lagering?

I think that there is some variation in size, so I can't quote exact numbers. My five gallon kegs are about 10" in diameter and maybe 23-25" tall. I want to say my carboy is 13-14" in diameter and 24" tall as well. Don't quote me, I've never measured.

All depends on a number of factors. First is process. If your process produced a solid beer and If you maintained excellent sanitation and kept it oxygen free you will have a beer that will age for years without defect. The next issue is the style. Some beers are great with age some are not.

I've had kegged beer (cold and under CO2 pressure) for many months. Easily, 6-8 months. Still tastes great.

Back