How long to run my o2 and do i open the regulator to full blast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carsonwarstler

Reaction score
Haven't been getting as strong of a fermentation as I would like so I bought a simple o2 regulator and .5 micron stone. Also got one of the disposable red o2 cylinders. There's no meter or anything on the regulator, I'm able to control flow to an extent but have no idea to what LPM value. Anyone know of a good cheap flow meter I can install in line? Also, I'll probably use the o2 before I get a flow meter, so any opinions on how long to run the o2 and how far open I should turn the regulator? Thanks.

I have no scientific basis for this. I open the regulator enough to get bubbles.at the bottom of the fermenter then another 1/4 turn. (Just an attempt to have a consistent flow brew to brew). I go with 30 seconds for beers around 1.050 and + 5 seconds for each additional .010.
I also use stirplate starters and have had very vigorous and complete ferments with this regime.

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I'll eventually pick up a flow meter but I needed this knowledge for the time being. Much appreciated.

The goal is to get the o2 dissolved into the wort. I open mine just enough to see turbulence on the surface of the wort but no bubbles. I don't want to see bubbles because that means the o2 isn't going into solution, it is escaping. I let it go for about 45-60 seconds.

Great advice. Much appreciated. Gonna give it a go today with1.052 OG and see how she does. This is what I love about brewing, so many unknowns and when you think you've got a good handle on it, there's always more to learn.

Back