How long to mash thick mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
Planning 11 gallons of a Bell's Two Hearted clone this weekend. Going to have to mash thicker to get the 26#'s of grain in my 10 gallon cooler mash tun. Based on some resources, if I mash at 1.10qts/# the entire mash will take up 9.23 gallons in my tun. If I mash at 1.15qts/# the mash will take up 9.56 gallons. Will probably go with 1.10qts/# to ensure I have enough space. A few questions I have regarding this.....

1. Should I mash longer to ensure complete conversion since my mash will be thicker than the normal 1.25qts/# I shoot for? If so, how much longer? An extra 15 minutes? 30 minutes?

2. Since I'll have about 8.25 gallons of sparge water, and the mash being thicker, should I add another step to my batch sparge? Or just batch sparge with two steps using half of my sparge water each time like normal?

3. Anything else I need to consider for mashing this thick?

1) Shouldn't really matter. If you are concerned, go ahead and let it sit a bit longer. 2 hearted is well attenuated beer, so a slightly more fermentable wort isn't a bad thing.

2) 2 sparges should fit just fine

3) Stir like crazy. The chances of dough balls goes way up with thicker mashes.

With 26 lbs of grain and 7.15 gal of strike water, your maximum theoretical SG for wort in the initial mash is 1.106. If you have a refractometer, you can monitor the SG of the mash wort. If it gets to 1.106 the mash is done. There is a pretty good chance it could plateau at a lower SG, in which case you might want to accept the less than 100% conversion efficiency, and proceed to run-off.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for the insight. I actually settled on 1.12qts/# just because it gives me an easier to measure strike water volume of 7.28. With that amount of strike water and 26#'s of grain what can I expect for my first runnings SG to be? I have a refractometer, so I can keep an eye on it like Doug suggested. Thanks again!!

Thanks for the insight. I actually settled on 1.12qts/# just because it gives me an easier to measure strike water volume of 7.28. With that amount of strike water and 26#'s of grain what can I expect for my first runnings SG to be? I have a refractometer, so I can keep an eye on it like Doug suggested. Thanks again!!

The extra water will drop you max potential SG to between 1.104 & 1.105.

Ended up with a first runnings SG of 1.0974. I'll take it. Mash tun was at its MAX for sure. We'll see what my OG ends up at. Sparging now.

Ended up with a first runnings SG of 1.0974. I'll take it. Mash tun was at its MAX for sure. We'll see what my OG ends up at. Sparging now.

97.4 / 104.5 = ~93% conversion efficiency. Not too bad for a thick mash.

1.056 OG. Target was 1.055. I'm happy!! Slightly higher target pre bill volume though. Thanks again for the help. Really looking forward to this one!!

Thanks for the help man!! How are you figuring those numbers based on strike water volume and #'s of grain? Would be helpful in the future.

Most base grains have a fine grind, dry basis extract potential of about 80%. This means 80% of the dry weight can be converted to sugar. The moisture content of most grain is about 4% by weight, so the dry weight of the grain that you weigh out is only 96% of what the scale says. So, let's do some calculations with your grain bill and strike volume:
26 lbs of grain * 0.96 * 0.80 = 19.97 lbs of potential extract (sugar)​
You also have
26 lb * 0.04 = 1.04 lb of water from the grain​
You used 7.28 gal of strike water, and water weighs 8.3304 lb/gal (@68°F) so you have
7.28 gal * 8.3304 lb/gal + 1.04 lb = 60.65 lb of water in the mash​
So if you converted all of the starch in the grain into sugar the weight % of sugar in the wort would be:
100% * 19.97 lb / (19.97 lb + 60.65 lb) = 24.77%​
24.77 wt% is 24.77°Plato which converts to a specific gravity of 1.1046. The formula for converting °Plato to SG is:
SG=1+(Plato/(258.6-((Plato/258.2)*227.1)))
So, 1.1046 is the maximum possible SG of the wort in the mash, which is also the maximum possible first runnings gravity.

Latest posts

Back