How long to leave in barrel before it's ready.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mic92

Reaction score
The fermentation in the bucket is now complete and I have now transferred it to a pressure barrel, added the sugar like my kit told me to, and it's all done.

How long until it's ready to be tried, and completely ready to drink? The kit says two weeks, but I'm just after recommendations etc.

Thank you!

pressure barrel? to my knowledge barrels cant hold pressure

sounds like you are naturally carbing it with priming sugar as opposed to force carbing. Were the kit instructions to bottle it with that amount of sugar or put everything in a barrel? The headspace ratio plays a large role in individual bottles vs something like a keg

when I bottle its usually mostly carbed at 1week buit not fully until a bit after 2

I will start off by saying I first had to look into what a pressure barrel actually is. Looks pretty sweet! But yeah, if you are using priming sugar, I agree with m00ps. Very good point about the headspace in the vessel. However, there are a few more variables to consider:

What style of beer you are priming.
Amount of priming sugar used (this ties in with the style of beer, but can get kind of "sciency")
And the viability of the yeast cells remaining in the beer.
(of course, these may be overcomplicating the answer if you just want bubbles.)

I have switched over to kegging entirely, so it's been awhile since my last endeavor with priming sugar, but I'd say to not give it less than 10 days before cracking one open. I used to wait 3 weeks when priming just to ensure I wasn't wasting anything.

The best part: it's still technically drinkable! As long as you don't mind the beer being a a little undercarbed (and a touch sweeter than it's fully carbed twin), cheers!

pressure barrel? to my knowledge barrels cant hold pressure

sounds like you are naturally carbing it with priming sugar as opposed to force carbing. Were the kit instructions to bottle it with that amount of sugar or put everything in a barrel? The headspace ratio plays a large role in individual bottles vs something like a keg

when I bottle its usually mostly carbed at 1week buit not fully until a bit after 2

I had to Google it apparently it is some sort of plastic keg they use over in the UK
https://sites.google.com/site/stocksbridgehomebrewsbeersite/home/pressure-barrels

Thank you! I am using a Woodfords Sundew kit. There is a fair amount to space in the barrel for gas to pressurise it.

I guess it says to wait 2 weeks or so for the yeast to do its finishing touches, for the gas to build up, and to help with the beers flavour.

No probs with pressure barrel, it however is not a keg. I have two. Add carbing sugar at about .8oz per gallon and start drinking it after three weeks. Be ready to charge the vessel with co2 after you have drawn about twenty pints and then keep charging to empty the barrel.
They work ok , there are loads of issues if you try to compare them with a keg, so don't ! As they are very different.

Awesome, thank you!
Yea, I need to get hold of a C02 pump for later. I may give it a taste in 2 weeks, then at 3 weeks start drinking if it's all good! :)

Back