how long to keep harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierStreet

Reaction score
is there a rule of thumb on how long yeast lasts in the fridge after being harvested from a previous batch?

I doubt you'll get a rule of thumb here, but I hear the general consensus is under a month, you can pitch it directly, up to a year or so and use a starter. I've done both just fine.

cool, Have a bunch of different strains in bottles in the fridge but not planning to brew for a while, gotta get the kegs up and working first :D

I have had success keeping yeast for several months, if not longer. I just make a starter.

If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

I had a slow start on yeast that had been in the fridge for 3 months here... Wyeast 3787 if i got my numbers right. It took a little under 24 hours to get any activity in the bubbler and I was kicking myself for not doing a starter, but I changed plans last minute and went Belgian rather than BIPA.

That said, it did go and blew yeast out the top of the bubbler after a few days.

Depends how you are harvesting too are you just scooping the slurry,or are you washing?this would be my question how long can you keep slurry that is in water? I have different sets of washed or slurry that i harvested, basically im using the slurry i have to jars of ,2 batches in 2 weeks, then i have a more of not less washed yeast that i plan on saving and using after 2 wks.Finally i have a double washed yeast wich has just a thin layer on the bottom which i plan to make a starter with.

The last few times we've harvested yeast, we just pour the yeast from the carboy directly into a bottle using a sanitized funnel. Keep it in the fridge then pour the beer on top off and make a starter a day or two before brewing, always has taken off fast in the next batch.

Yes, i have noticed from doing this i actually had some fermentation,maybe a krausen ring and a pft when opening the jar of slurry i used after a week. Im shure it would take off but i just use the slurry and go by oz amounts.

I've used six month old washed yeast without a problem. A little slow to kick off but no off flavors or stuck fermentations. Right now I have a starter of brett and saison yeast chugging away on some leftover stout wort. It smells very...different.

I'm experimenting with the residual yeast left in a white labs vial after pitching. I poured a little cooled wort into the vial and let it sit for 24 hours at room temp. I then pitched that into a proper starter. Worked pretty good I decanted and it'd in the fridge now. Im going to try grow it one more time than pitch it into a lower gravity wort.

image-3746448666.jpg

This is the cake after 48 hours.

Back