How long to cold crash an Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in general the colder and longer you crash it the more will drop out of suspension - different yeast strains tend to floc out quicker than others

i usually crash for 2-3 days around 35deg but have gone longer and shorter dep on my availability to keg

Considering that it takes some time for the whole 5 gallons of liquid to obtain the colder temp, I crash for 5-7 days at 35-36*F. That has worked well for me for both kegged and bottled batches.

I'm in no hurry.

Sorry, forgot to include the temps...i crash in my keg fridge, which is set to 36F. Usually crystal clear after a day...but if was a big hop load, I let it go two. That's with the standard (for me) US-05. Flocks out really well. I imagine some of the English strains might take a little longer. But even when I do a Wit, using WLP-400, I usually only go two days tops...it's gonna be cloudy anyway after all...

I guess if I was to do a "competition" brew, I might let it go a little longer, but I'm brewing for me and my friends and family....

Well I cold crashed my Honey Ale for 10 days at 35 F and just kegged it. I sampled it and I thought it was good. Probably going to keep it kegged for 2 weeks... Wasn't going to force carb unless someone suggests it. I did put in co2 and pull out as much oxygen as I could...

ForumRunner_20130902_083622.png

ForumRunner_20130902_083641.png

ForumRunner_20130902_083650.png

Back