how long to clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frijole

Reaction score
I put my beer in the fermenter 11 days ago and the yeast are basically done (no more bubbling). The Krausen has gone back into the beer. I am now waiting for it to clear, this is my first brew btw :ban:. I am wondering how clear it is going to get? At this point when I shine a flashlight into the carboy it just looks brown and I can't see farter that maybe 1 inch into the liquid. How clear will it be when I bottle?

Well it depends on what kind of beer you are making. The stout I just made I could not even see through my hydrometer test graduated cylinder, but have had pale ales that you can see straight through a 5 gallon carboy.

Are you planning on using secondary? Did you use any clarifying agents? What kind of beer is it?

An important thing to remember is that when looking through a large volume with an opaque back (such as starting down into a bucket), the beer will always look way darker than it actually is.

I would worry more about taste and perfecting your skills at this point - clarity comes later with experience.

You can't really tell color in the carboy. Too much liquid. Also, clearing is more to do w/ cloudyness then color.

Back