How long to boil an AG yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
So usually I make 1 gal starters for my 10 gal batches. I want to start making All Grain yeast starters to save some cash.
Here is the question: do I still have to boil the wort for 60 min, if I don't care for IBU's and hop utilization? Won't the wort be sterilized enough after only 10-20 min boil?

Are you sure you want to do that?
It's a lot of work to make just 1 gallon of starter wort, mashing and all.

I don't think it needs to boil (rolling boil!) for more than 10 minutes to kill off any bugs in there. There's a lot of lactobacter in grain and they transfer into your wort during the mash.

For that reason, keep grain away from your yeast growing area.

I wouldn't boil for an hour personally. However the benefits of doing that would be to make the same hop profile as the wort you're pitching into. A gallon of starter is 1/10 of your batch...ultimately your decision. But boiling for 15 minutes will be enough to sanitize your wort.

Also a thing to point out. Some people can their starters in mason jars. I always though it would be handy to make a larger batch than planned and skim off a gallon of extra wort during the boil. Or if you have enough jars just make an entire batch and can it up to save you time in the future. Then you would just need to open up, pitch your yeast and put on the stir plate.

The wort would be sterilized after 10 minutes of boiling. That part wouldn't be a problem at all. The only thing I would worry about are all the normal brewing concerns - dms, hot break, cold break etc. Presumably, you are going to crash the starter and decant vs pitching a whole gallon, right?

If you haven't thought of the easy way to do this yet...... you can just toss a bit of extra grain in a batch. Sparge till you get the gravity you want for your main beer and then top up to whatever volume you need for your boiloff. Sparge some more to get enough sugar for your starter. Put the small starter on the stove while you do your main boil and just let it go.

Latest posts

Back