how long to age coffee mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amber-ale

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening

I have a batch of coffee mead made in 2014 that I have been patiently trying to age into palatability. But I am running out of patience and shelf space.

It has been gradually improving, but still tastes like an ashtray.

Does anyone know how long is reasonable for a coffee mead to mellow?

Has anyone ever made a tasty coffee mead?

Is it worth keeping another year or should I reclaim my wine cellar real estate?

thank-you for your $0.02

amber-ale

What does an ashtray taste like? What was your recipe? I have made a coffee wine (not a mead) and it took about two years before it was truly drinkable. But your recipe and protocol will provide a better idea if this is "reclaimable" or whether you might need to take particular action to salvage something from this mead (adding cream and vodka? )

I made a coffee mead that at 2 years was ok. At 3years it was really good. Is yours dry or sweet. Would a bit of backsweetening help? Oak? How strong ( bitter)is the mead now? I am a coffee drinker anyways, so I like the flavor, but the bitterness can be overwhelming. I could always store it for you if you really need the space.:D. Good luck

Last edited:
Why should coffee mead be bitter? Poorly made coffee tends to be bitter but coffee is not essentially bitter. To make a coffee wine you might cold brew the coffee rather than boil it (cold brewing inhibits any possible bitterness)

Was it made with hot brewed coffee? If it was, it'll probably never change. Cold brew is the way to go.

I cold brewed mine also. Depending on how much coffee was added , and how strong said coffee was will have an effect on the flavor. I suggested bitter because the OP said ashtray. The mead I made had a very strong coffee flavor that back sweetening helped alot. I offered the OP some possible suggestions for improving his mead.
I really don't think vodka is the answer to any mead related question though.

update!! it is now Nov 2018 ( started coffee mead in 2014) and the mead is now almost finished ageing. Almost all the ashtray flavour is gone and it is now drinkable ( and good). A little bit more aging and it should be GREAT.

So cold steeped coffee mead is a viable flavour ir you have the time to allow it to age. ( similar to chocolate mead)

Latest posts

Back