How long should I mash this Torpedo clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBrewDC

Reaction score
I came across a recipe on another site that looks delish so I have decided I will be brewing Saturday morning.

My question is how long should I mash?? :eek:

Torpedo - Extra India Pale Ale (clone)

O.G. 1.076 (actual)
F.G. 1.016 (est)
ABV 7.0 (est)
IBU 82.7 (Tinseth, est)
SRM 8.8 (est)

13.5 lbs Great Western 2-row
1 lbs Cara-Pils Dextrine
.75 lbs Crystal 60

35g Magnum 10.5% 90 minutes
14.2g Crystal 3.3% 90 minutes

25g Magnum 30 minutes

25g Magnum 10 minutes
50g Crystal 10 minutes

42.5g Crystal DRY 7 days
28.5g Magnum DRY 7 days
14g Citra DRY 7 days

Mash at 150 F
Mash Efficiency 80%

Yeast: White Labs WLP-001

I would say it depends on the efficiency of your system. Your target OG is 1.076 and if you can hit that with the grain bill in the recipe, with your system you should be good for a traditional single step infusion mash of 60 minutes. I have done 90 minute mashes for IPA's to get additional conversion, but mashing at 148 degrees, not 150. Torpedo tends to have a heavier mouthfeel than a traditional IPA, that could be the reason for the higher mash temperature. I sparge at 170 degrees.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out!! :cheers:

It is particular importance to mash out as close to 169 as possible as there tends to be a lower grain to water ratio with bigger beers. This will improve your efficiency by dissolving more sugars and decreasing viscosity.

Still curious about the mash out. Is that necessary in all instances? Would it be appropriate here?

It is particular importance to mash out as close to 169 as possible as there tends to be a lower grain to water ratio with bigger beers. This will improve your efficiency by dissolving more sugars and decreasing viscosity.

Opps... you posted that as I was typing. Thank you!

Ok... so how about this...

Does sparging at 170 take the place of a traditional mash out? I ask because this is the only way I have ever done it but recently I have been reading the importance of the mash out.

I batch sparge, but from what I have read about fly sparging, it is important to mash out before fly spraging becuase it takes so much longer to sparge than batch sparging does. It locks in your sugar and fermentability profile. If you don't mash out, there is still enzymatic conversions taking place that will affect the end product of the beer.

Either method is going to work. As stated, theoretically the mash can continue during sparging without a mash out step. Also it is the case that enzyme denaturing takes place over a given amount of time at a given temp, it is not instantaneous at 168F.

You should try it both ways and see what you think. There has been a tremendous amount of debate on the subject on HBT. Scroll down and you'll find old threads.

I don't mash out, if I'm flying I heat HLT to 175 and call it good. The sparge should take 45-60 min so you should be losing heat. This has not caused a great deal of trouble with me.

You may gain a few points of efficiency with a mash out, if that is your game. You may not.

At 75% BHE I am happy to batch sparge with no mash out step. It does save some time.

Thank you for the help. I have never mashed out and I have always fly sparged. I believe I will try MY first experiment with a familiar recipe; one with mashing out and one without... all other factors being equal. This will tell me what 'I' like better. Isn't that what really matters in the end, anyway?? :D

Thank you for the help. I have never mashed out and I have always fly sparged. I believe I will try MY first experiment with a familiar recipe; one with mashing out and one without... all other factors being equal. This will tell me what 'I' like better. Isn't that what really matters in the end, anyway?? :D

EXACTLY! This is why we all brew our own beer, to make what WE like! :mug:

Latest posts

Back