How long should I bottle condition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coliveri78

Reaction score
I'm very new to brewing but I was wondering what is a good "rule of thumb" when it comes to how long to wait on bottle conditioning?

For most beers 2 to 3 weeks should be about when you would start checking bottles for carbonation levels and taste. If it is a higher gravity beer it can take a month or more. Some beers even need several months (6-9) to fully mature.

Carbing and conditioning are different things.

Beers under 6% should be carbed in 2 or 3 weeks and really require no conditioning time. They should be in their drinkable prime in only 2 to 4 weeks after bottling. My preference is 4.

Beers greater than 8% should be carbed in 4 to 8 weeks. Conditioning depends on what you are doing. If it's an IIPA or a big wheat, drink it when it's carbed. If it's a big Barleywine, Abby, or imperial stout, it may need a few more months.

Carbing and conditioning are different things.

Beers under 6% should be carbed in 2 or 3 weeks and really require no conditioning time. They should be in their drinkable prime in only 2 to 4 weeks after bottling. My preference is 4.

Beers greater than 8% should be carbed in 4 to 8 weeks. Conditioning depends on what you are doing. If it's an IIPA or a big wheat, drink it when it's carbed. If it's a big Barleywine, Abby, or imperial stout, it may need a few more months.

Good stuff right there... depending on the recipe, I will taste a batch once a month after its carbed up and keep notes... when I think its great, I brew it again and then do not touch it till that amount of time has passed. But like mentioned above, it depends on the style. Some Belgians I would not even think of touching for 9 months. IPA's I am just waiting for them to carb, then I drink em.

Here's a question... Did you have a specific style or recipe in mind? That would help us narrow it down...

Nothing specific, kinda the answers I was looking for. Very helpful thanks everyone.

A quick rule is lighter color and low alcohol beers mature quickly but as the color gets darker and/or the alcohol level goes higher it will take longer for the beer to mature. I have a dark stout that got really smooth at about a year.

Just remember, the best beer in any batch is almost always the last one.* While I like to leave my pale ales (which is about all I brew these days, though with lots of variants) in the bottle for a month, I'll start sneaking them earlier. A test bottle a week after bottling (or less), then maybe one or two a week thereafter.

*except for wheats.

Latest posts

Back