How long should I boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eviljafar

Reaction score
When the FedEx guy/sexy beer loving chick arrives at my door in the next few days with my grain and hops I'll have everything I need to make my first AG. Except for wisdom (even Northern Brewer doesn't seem to sell that).

I still have a few questions to ask and I guess I have a lot more questions that I haven't even thought of yet. This one is about boil time and hop addition.

I plan to add hops (pellets) at 60, 30, 10 and 0 minutes. But when does my 60 mins start? I have read it starts somewhere between when the boil starts rolling to one hour after the boil starts rolling. How long after the boil starts do I add my first hops?

Cheers, Jaf.

Unless you are using pilsner malt, need to boil down to a specific volume, or are looking for some caramailzation from the boil aim for 60 minutes. I wait for the hot break, then boil starts moving along, then I give it a stir to make sure we are boiling from top to bottom then start my clock and add the 60 min hop addition.

Basically the proteins start to build up causing the boil to "foam". This is what typically leads to a boil-over. At a certain point the proteins start to break up and the foam falls back down and disappears; this is the hot break. Here are some pics as it starts to approach a boil-over:

Picture 081.jpg
Picture 082.jpg
Picture 084.jpg

I have a Sankey keg and I'm doing a 5 Gal boil so I think a boilover is a small risk. So should I be happy to see foam and when it dies down by itself make my first addition and start my 60 minute timer?

Do you say that because hot break and hop addition are both possible causes of foam, therefore boilover? So if I have a small kettle be careful at both hot break and 1st hop addition, but if I have a big kettle don't worry?

Back