how long should fly sparge take

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtd3612

Reaction score
for a 10 gallon batch and trying to get to 12.5 gallons pre boil ( roughly) it takes me about 1.5 with temps hlt at 168 and over this time brings the mash up to 168. I also done this in quicker times say about 1 hours but those two batches did not ferment below 1.020. this last batch also did not ferment down from 1.063 to less then 1.022. I think this one was more on the fermentation time/temp side but I am wondering if I am picking up unfermentables in my process? readings are always spot on at pre boil and og. read in other posts that the 168 is good for the mash out but really need to understand how long it should take me. using coolers with gravity feed fly spartge.

Dale

Generally, fly sparging should be about an hour in length. More importantly, we need to know what was the mash temperature, mash length, grain bill and if possible, the water profile. These all can have an effect on the fermentability of your wort.

mash was 150 for 60 minutes.

4 oz black patent
6 oz chocolate
8 oz special roast
2 lbs victory
4 lbs 2 row pale
14 lbs marris otter

water was city ran through charcoal filter- used 5.2 ph stablizer

Personally, I think you should sparge for as long as you want. It's a tradeoff between your time and your money. A faster sparge will save you time, a slower one will extract more sugar from your grains. I aim for 2.5 minutes per gallon. Usually a bit over 20 minutes for my 5 gallon batches (not including vorlauf). I average about 74%. When I used to sparge slower, I would get in the mid 80's. But I'll take forty minutes in exchange for a pound or two of grain. What matters more is how consistent you care so can get repeatable numbers.

Back