How long on lees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James0816

Reaction score
This is just more of a curiosity question more than anything. What is the longest you have left your mead sitting on lees during primary? Or basically just make it / forget it / let it sit type of thing.

Typically only a week after fermentation is done. That's if I was using an airlock. For open ferments I like to rack before the CO2 stops. Not because of lees but for fear of oxygen.

Like Maylar I typically only let the gross lees sit for a week or so after primary. I did an experiment with D47 two identical 5 gallon batches (or as close to it as I could get) of just D47, wildflower honey and spring water. Racked from the lees on one when the SG hit 1.010 and left the other on the gross lees for 90 days. My untrained pallet definitely could not tell a difference with this yeast.

I do see on the forum from time to time that some believe yeasts may impart different flavors over time. Both "good" and "bad" flavors.

My very first batch of JAOM got forgotten about, didn’t rack or bottle it for 6 years. But generally, I don’t rack off the primary lees until it’s clear. Then I’ll rack one more time before bottling.

My very first batch of JAOM got forgotten about, didn’t rack or bottle it for 6 years. But generally, I don’t rack off the primary lees until it’s clear. Then I’ll rack one more time before bottling.

Holy Crap! Six years??? How'd that turn out or did you even try it at that point? lol

I drank it! It was alright actually, didn’t have much to compare it to as I wasn’t actually use to drinking wine/mead yet. I got the bitterness from the orange skin/rind from it but it drank like what I remember white wine tasted like.

Back