How long on gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
Due to space limitations I need to carb my kegs at room temperature which is usually around 64-66 degrees this time of year. BeerSmith says that I need to keep them at about 24 PSI. My question is how long do they need to stay on the C02? Also, how long will they keep at that temperature?

About 3 days...but it's hard to tell whether or not you hit your mark (or overshot it) until it is chilled and served.

If you are carbing at room temp I'd personally just prime the kegs with 1/2 the amount you'd use for bottling.

24 PSI at 64* is the equilibrium temp for the carbonation level you want. Just like 11 psi at 40*, or whatever, is your equilbrium temp in the fridge. The rules are the same.

At 24 PSI and 64*, it will take about 2 weeks to carb up, (just like it takes about two weeks with the "set it and forget it" system in your fridge). It will NOT overcarb at those conditions. You can leave it on the gas forever at 24 PSI and 64*, with no problems. Once you are ready to chill/drink it, disconnect the gas, put it in your fridge, wait 12-24 hrs for the beer to cool down. Hook it back up to gas at the fridge pressure, (10-14 PSI, whatever beersmith says for the same volumes of CO2 at your fridge temp), and serve. (Headspace pressure will drop from 24 psi to around 10-14 psi as it cools, you will not lose carbonation during this process).

If you want to rush it at room temp, you can, just like you can rush it at fridge temp. Rushing at fridge temp means cranking up the pressure to 25-35 PSI for a few days. Rushing at room temp means cranking up to 55-60 psi for a few days. Really though, if you are carbing up outside of the fridge, where space is no longer a premium, it's better to not risk overcarbing by burst carbing and instead just set and forget it at 24 psi.

Edit: Missed your second question. They will keep indefinitely at that temperature. Especially when carbonated, assuming no leaks in your kegs, they'll keep for upwards of a year at least if you are unlucky, and upwards of a decade if you are lucky.

I guess my question is this: after 2 weeks and it has carbed up, can I removed it from the gas and just store it?

24 PSI at 64* is the equilibrium temp for the carbonation level you want. Just like 11 psi at 40*, or whatever, is your equilbrium temp in the fridge. The rules are the same.

At 24 PSI and 64*, it will take about 2 weeks to carb up, (just like it takes about two weeks with the "set it and forget it" system in your fridge). It will NOT overcarb at those conditions. You can leave it on the gas forever at 24 PSI and 64*, with no problems. Once you are ready to chill/drink it, disconnect the gas, put it in your fridge, wait 12-24 hrs for the beer to cool down. Hook it back up to gas at the fridge pressure, (10-14 PSI, whatever beersmith says for the same volumes of CO2 at your fridge temp), and serve. (Headspace pressure will drop from 24 psi to around 10-14 psi as it cools, you will not lose carbonation during this process).

If you want to rush it at room temp, you can, just like you can rush it at fridge temp. Rushing at fridge temp means cranking up the pressure to 25-35 PSI for a few days. Rushing at room temp means cranking up to 55-60 psi for a few days. Really though, if you are carbing up outside of the fridge, where space is no longer a premium, it's better to not risk overcarbing by burst carbing and instead just set and forget it at 24 psi.

Edit: Missed your second question. They will keep indefinitely at that temperature. Especially when carbonated, assuming no leaks in your kegs, they'll keep for upwards of a year at least if you are unlucky, and upwards of a decade if you are lucky.

Great, that's what I was thinking too. But i wanted to verify it with someone who has done it. Thanks!

Yup. As long as your keg doesn't have a leak, (good seal, which it should have at that pressure), it's good indefinitely.

I have had one keg go back to flat after carbing...it must have had a very slow leak. However, even if it goes to flat, the chances of oxidation or infection are extremely minimal, since you'll probably always have a BIT of positive pressure in there. The carbed keg went flat, then sat in my basement for a year. After carbing it back up, it had suffered no ill effects.

So, there's a CHANCE after taking it off the gas that it will go flat again, if you have a small leak, but even if that happens, it will just need recarbing before you can drink it, no big deal.

Latest posts

Back