How long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt_andy

Reaction score
So about a year ago.. or longer. Let just say it was a year ago. I honestly don't know how long it has been. Anyways, I bought a wine kit (wine expert - Island Mist kit) from the local Brew shop. I got it into the primary and that is where I stopped. Normally it goes to a Secondary/clearing/bottle as you all know the process... However, life got in the way and it got pushed off to the side and then forgotten about.

Fast forward to present day....

Now that I'm home because of the quarantine I have more time. I figured I would make a new batch of beer and wine. Try to get back into the swing of brewing again.

Anyways, I see that I still have this wine that is still in the Primary stage in a carboy.

My question is.. Do you all think I should pour it out? Or just continue with the process and bottle it? Its very clear and still looks clean. It does not appear to be bad. Smells like alcohol. However, the air lock was dry.. It probably has been dry for months if not a over a year.

I'd hate to pour what could be still a good drink down the drain. I also don't want to make it and have it be bad and possibly get anyone sick.

thoughts?

I have a similar situation brewing. I began some mead batches in the fall of 2018 and have somewhat neglected them. They were in the secondary stage and have been sitting in a cool dark cabinet undisturbed for the most part. The airlocks have had times where they have run dry. Is this something I should try to bottle?

My first batch was a JAOM, which I had forgotten about for about a year before putting a solid bung on it. Fast forward 6ish years, I get into wine making again, rediscover my carboy, and finally racked it off the orange, raisins, and lees. Tasted fine lol.

I have gallons of mead in one gallon glass carboys that I made in 2007. They are just sitting in the basement hanging out. I might taste them one day. :)

Back