How long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefeidono

Reaction score
So I started a brew mid December and then life happened and I never bottled it. It's been sitting in the primary fermenter for about 7 weeks now in my Pennsylvania basement at roughly 60F. What should I expect from this beer if I bottle it? Would it even be worth bottling or will the dead yeast have soured the beer by now?

It was a Scottish Heavy blend for reference: https://www.southhillsbrewing.com/shop/beer/brewers-best-beer-recipe-kits/shbs-favorites-wee-heavy/

I have the day off tomorrow and was going to bottle it then.

It's probably very good! Longer conditioning times benefit most stronger and maltier beers.

Is it in a bucket? How's the air lock?

The yeast should still be OK after 7 weeks.
But for all security, I'd add a fresh rehydrated dry pack to the bottling bucket.
Actually, I think 1/4 of a pack of S-04 or US-05 would be plenty for bottling. You can then reseal the leftover yeast, put in freezer and reuse for a next brew, within a few (1-3) weeks, perhaps longer. Provided you use good sanitation when handling it.

Last edited:
It will be fine. I have had many beers sit for longer than that with no issues. I don't even think about re-yeasting unless the beer is over 6 months old, and that is usually high gravity Barleywines, or low PH sours, that have additional stresses on the yeast than just time.

At 2 months, there is no need to mess with adding additional yeast.

Back