How long is Star San good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1981

Reaction score
I mix up a five gallon batch of Star San for every brew day and bottle day and use it once. Can it be saved after it's mixed? How long do you guys keep pre mixed sanitizer for?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have kept mine for a month, even two. The bottle says you can store it longer, as long as its covered/in a sealed container. I typically keep it in a spare corning keg or spare carboy. I also keep a spray bottle of the solution around because it is sooo handy.

I've heard that a good way to gauge is by using PH strips. If the acidity is still there, it's still good since the acid is what kills the nasties.

Make sure you don't have floaties in it.

Check the ph, if it's 3.5 or lower, it's still good.

And not to be "That Guy," but I guess I am here. Does anyone use the search function? Seems we've answered this question 2 or 3 times in the last month. (OK, rant over, always happy to help fellow brewers)

I've heard that a good way to gauge is by using PH strips. If the acidity is still there, it's still good since the acid is what kills the nasties.

Is this 100% true? If it is, what would stop someone from mixing a 3.5% acidic water solution and using that as sanitizer? or adding some white vinegar to old star san to bring the ph back down where you want it?

Vinegar pH can vary a lot and also, not sure about you, but I wouldn't want vinegar flavors penetrating into my beer. I've learned not to fear the foam on Star San, but I'd fear the odor/taste of vinegar in my hefeweizen!

Vinegar would soak into the plastic of buckets or better bottles,like when folks wanna re-purpose pickle buckets to ferment in. Hard to get the smell out. As long as Starsan's PH is 3.5 or lower,it's still good. & cloudiness isn't much of a factor either. Craigtube did a test once,with old Starsan that was cloudy & a new batch. both tested the same PH-wise. As long as you keep it clean,it'll last a good couple months ime. I folter mine occassionaly with a funnel & coffee filters.

i just used vinegar as an example. the question i was trying to get at was, will any 3.5 ph'd liquid act as a sanitizer? is it the ph of star san or something else that does the sanitizing.

we use Quaternary sanitizer in the kitchens i work in and it is also tested by way of ph. once the ph is too high it needs to be replaced but it is not the ph that is doing the killing. for a set amount of water to reach a set ph there has to be a set amount of the concentrate in the water. the ph is used almost as a way to gauge ppm.

Yes,PH is used to guage effectiveness,but Starsan is essentually an acid sanitizer that's also no-rinse in the proper dilution. Any sanitizer that's food safe in the proper dilution without the need for heavy rinsing is good to my understanding.

Using distilled water (key move), my last mixed up batch of Star San lasted 3 months. Ph was 2.5 when I tested it and still crystal clear. Only reason I chucked it was because..... well I don't have a good reason but the stuff is so cheap, why not do up a freshie

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

+1 on distilled water. The natural minerals in bottled spring and well water can degrade batches quicker. As well as the additives in tap water. I use distilled and keep for about 2 months.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Honestly I keep mine for 3-4 months. It stays at 3.0 for me for the entire time. At that point I just toss it so I make a fresh batch but honestly it could probably stay longer. I keep mine in a big plastic container with a lid from target. I check the pH about once a month. Unionrdr just gave a great idea for me to use: filter the batch out after a little while.

Like it's been said, cloudiness hardly effects it and I have not seen any decrease in pH or effectiveness due to it.

It's always up to personal preference. I can tell someone the stuff stays good until my face turns blue but if they are scared to have it longer than one day, they'll probably toss it. In the end it's a waste of water and sanitizer but it's up to the user.

- ISM NRP

Sooner or later,with two pets & a nearby highway,I get various things in my Starsan from use. Even if that's just a couple uses. Anyway,I use My SunnyD water measuring jug With a radiator funnel (short one with wide openning) with recycled paper coffee filters to filter the small hairs,grainy stuff,& a lil bit of the cloudiness out. Then pour it back into the storage jug & seal. I wash the recieving jug out next & put it on the bottle tree to drip dry before sealing & storage. It won't get all the cloudiness out,but a little tiny bit of it,along with any grainy stuff or other discolorants that aren't too major. It def helps it last a bit longer.

Back