How long is ok for a yeast starter from washed yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nedward74

Reaction score
Hey guys, I washed some Ale yeast from a stout I did about a month ago and it has been in the fridge since in a quart mason jar topped with water that was boiled and cooled. I took it out about 48 hours ago and let it warm up, boiled some DME and cooled it, then poured off the liquid from the top of the yeast and replaced it with the DME wort. It took off like crazy after about two hours and had a nice krausen on top. But now I can't brew today. What now? Is it ok to let it sit until later in the week or the weekend? Thanks in advance.

Also, how do I keep it going and how do I know if my yeasts are doing ok still and ready to go to work?

Hey guys, I washed some Ale yeast from a stout I did about a month ago and it has been in the fridge since in a quart mason jar topped with water that was boiled and cooled. I took it out about 48 hours ago and let it warm up, boiled some DME and cooled it, then poured off the liquid from the top of the yeast and replaced it with the DME wort. It took off like crazy after about two hours and had a nice krausen on top. But now I can't brew today. What now? Is it ok to let it sit until later in the week or the weekend? Thanks in advance.

Are you using a stir plate or intermittent shaking for your starter?

Shaking. It is still in the mason jar with a sanitized cheese cloth under the lid now that it has calmed down.

Also, how do I keep it going and how do I know if my yeasts are doing ok still and ready to go to work?

You will know if your yeast are still working if a krausen forms when you shake it. Cover should allow fresh air/oxygen in, but keep out floating or flying stuff. I shake every time I walk through the kitchen. My wife does also. We are both home all day. Less shaking the longer it will take for the yeast to finish. A 1.5 liter will usually be done 36 to 48 hours. I then cold crash for at least two days. I'll use it to brew within a week. Starter size is large enough to sit for a week without worry. I tend to go on the overpitch side of things.

Thanks brother, I read about starters and using a stir plate (which I do not have) I have only made a starter once before but I pitched it within 24 hours before. This time I actually just decided to put it into the fridge and cold crash it anyway and hope for the best when I do pitch later this week. But hearing that you normally start yours for a few days then crash it and use it within a week makes me feel a lot better about what I had planned. That is exactly how it will go down here. I appreciate your advice.

You can put it in the fridge for up to a week without worrying about yeast health. Decant the liquid off before you pitch the yeast into your wort.

And if you "had to" start a starter for some stupid reason that you'd rather not share... um, hypothetically... and you won't have a chance to use it within a week, can you just step it up a couple times to keep it healthy for a longer time?

Back