How long in the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my first milk stout from a recipe I got through Beersmith. The recipe says to ferment for 10 days. Unfortunately it then says to keg it and let it sit at 42 degrees for another 7 days. I will be bottling this batch and I am wondering how I am suppose to know how long to let it bottle condition?

I recommend give a taste/carb rest after 14 daze. If it's good it's ready. If not wait a few daze and try again. Repeat as required.

3 weeks to carbonate, that being said I have noticed most of my beers benifit from atleast a month of aging in the bottle.

I agree with mdindy on bottle conditioning.

My schedule is roughly:
3 weeks fermentation (primary and secondary)
2 weeks carbonation in the bottle
2 months in the basement to mellow out

The 2 months in the basement is hard to do at first but once your pipeline gets going it gets easier.

I usually do 14 days fermenting and then 3 weeks on bottle. I would add, put the bottles in the fridge for 3 days before opening them. This lets more of the CO2 soak in.

Back