How long for trub to settle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBayBrewer31

SouthBayBrewer31
Reaction score
Long story short...a mishap resulted in my wort going into the fermentor with all the hops unfiltered. Before I always used mash bags. How much longer should it take to clear? Not a hoppy beer, just 2 oz of pellets.

"how much longer" than how long so far?
If you used carrageenan in the boil pretty much everything should end up on the bottom within a day. But it'll be stirred up when the yeast kick in...

I don't know that it will take longer than what ever you have experienced in the past. We don't know what else you did in either case and each brew is different.

There have been "exbeeriments" that seemed to support that the beer fermented with all the trub ultimately was clearer than one where an attempt to keep it out was done.

Cold crashing and fining will speed the process.

Nothing to worry about... by the time the beer has fully fermented, the trub will certainly have settled out.

In fact it probably completely settles within the first 24 hours

Hop pellet particles are about the same density as the proteins that make up most of the trub you usually see. I'd expect them to settle out about the same. If you are in so much of a hurry to get the beer bottled that the time to settle the hops is a worry, brewing may not be for you. I have always put the hops into the fermenter and dry hopped there too. With that as a basis, a couple times I was in a hurry to get beer ready to drink and bottled at day 10. I don't remember that the hops were a problem even with that short time. I usually leave the beer for 14 to 30 days if I'm not nearly out of beer.

Back