How long does Lalvin EC-1118 yeast take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a batch of ginger ale brewing with Lalvin EC-1118 yeast:

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/EC1118.asp

How long does this yeast take before I should consider it done & bottle it? I'm using a 30 L fermenter filled to 23 L.

I've seen people talking all the way from 9 days to over 23, so I'm not sure...

I'm on day 8.

Do you have an SG? Did you take a gravity lately? Without a gravity it's like driving your car somewhere without any direction.

If the gravity indicated you were close to the alcohol level 18% I believe then fermentation should be done.

The time it takes is relative to many points: temperature, quantity and quality of yeast, type of yeast, did you rehydrate the yeast, residual K or sorbate, ferment able sugars etc etc........

Err... I made a beginner mistake and never measured the original gravity (or I didn't record it - I forget). I've since learned about that, and... well... won't happen again.

Can I use gurgling through the airlock as a rough indicator?

Err... I made a beginner mistake and never measured the original gravity (or I didn't record it - I forget). I've since learned about that, and... well... won't happen again.

Can I use gurgling through the airlock as a rough indicator?

Not really, as you would have to have a way to measure all the CO2 then do the math to figure alcohol level.

if you mean activity, then wait till there is no activity for at least 4-5 days before considering it done.

I'd still take a reading because EC-1118 is going to go dry. That's what it does. Little to no krausen and it will run down to close to, if not right at, 1.000. So I'd sit on it. I did an apfelwein with it and it was "done" in 10 days but it was better in 30. That had to do with the recipe, not with anything else.

Not really, as you would have to have a way to measure all the CO2 then do the math to figure alcohol level.

if you mean activity, then wait till there is no activity for at least 4-5 days before considering it done.

Thanks. That helps. It's been quiet for a few days now, and is probably ready to bottle.

I'd still take a reading because EC-1118 is going to go dry. That's what it does. Little to no krausen and it will run down to close to, if not right at, 1.000. So I'd sit on it. I did an apfelwein with it and it was "done" in 10 days but it was better in 30. That had to do with the recipe, not with anything else.

I didn't take an original gravity, so... sigh...

But I'm not really looking to get "the best" quality right now -- just better than my previous attempts. I'll work at fine tuning quality once I have more experience. At the moment, I'm merely looking to increase the quality by orders of magnitude! :D

Back