How long did you brew extract kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markley

Reaction score
Hey all...I am very new to brewing. So far have only brewed three extract kits. It's safe to say that I am hooked, so I don't think it's too early (well maybe a little, as i know there's a lot to learn) to consider heading towards all grain recipes. I am curious as to how long y'all brewed from kits before stepping up? Also, what are the logical next steps?

Right now I only have a beginner brew kit, 2 - 6 gal plastic fermenters, bottling bucket, a 5 gallon stainless kettle, and a 8 gal aluminum pot.

I brewed with extracts for 13 years. been all grain for a little over a year. I wish I hadn't waited so damn long! start looking up DIY mash tuns/cooler conversions. I got the 10 gallon cooler set up from Northern Brewer. I like it. it holds temp quite well. you'll also want a decent mill. I got the Barley crusher from NB as well. don't let all the AG hubba-baloo get you scared or nervous. AG is easier than I thought. and I also think it might be better to lear AG while your brain ain't all filled up with extract.

I did 3-4 Mr. Beer kits, one Bass Ale clone extract brew from a recipe that I cobble together from various internet sources and what my LHBS had in stock, and then went immediately into AG BIAB.

Haven't done an extract batch since. Been at it about 3 years now.

I have a few buckets that I got for free from a local soap making store for my fermenters bottling bucket, etc, a $19 10G Aluminum tamale pot as my BK, a 4 gal kettle I had before I started brewing, and I started with a $4 voile curtain as my "bag".

I typically do 12ish lb grain bills in my 10G kettle. I mash with around 6-7 gal, then dunk sparge with 1.5 gals in a 4 gal kettle.

So for $4 you could try AG BiaB to see if you like AG. I got my voile curtains from Ikea, others have mentioned Lowes, Walmart, or a fabric store. Wilserbrewer here at HBT sells a nice mesh bag sized to your kettle at a good price (i just switched from the ikea curtain to wilser's bag 3-4 batches ago)

You might decide to stay with BiaB or use one of the many DIY cooler-to-mash-tun threads to go the more traditional route.

But I don't think AG is that much harder than extract. Takes longer. But unless you have funky water, not that much more complicated.

I just move up to grinding my own grain with a $25 corona mill in a bucket (find the DIY threads on here) since BIAB can take a finer crush with no worries about a stuck sparge.

+1 to doing BIAB if you're going to give all grain a shot. I did one or two Mr Beer batches like so many others have, then did a handful of partial mash batches before moving on to AG BIAB. Perfect little deal for me, I'm all grain without any coolers or other large pieces of equipment clogging up my garage and I can make any kind of beer I want.

9 years for me. Went all grain early this year. I'm very glad that I waited. There may be an argument for having gone all grain earlier, but I was able to get some very important techniques down to a science before I went all grain. Sanitation, bottling, kegging, secondary fermentation, clearing, etc.. etc.. etc.. All of that was second nature to me when i started brewing all grain. Of course I had to buy some new equipment... a couple of brew kettles and a cooler... AND I was able to read quite a bit about brewing and watched a whole ton of videos.

When I finally took the plunge, it was like I'd been doing it for years.

While the beer is better, I can't under state the value of the experience I got from extract brewing. I'm no brew master, but my beer is getting better and better with each brew. Having waited, I feel like the learning curve is nowhere near as steep as it would have been if I'd have "taken the plunge" a few years earlier.

And... the best part about brewing extract beer is... You get to drink beer.

One other thing... the very best part about being an established extract brewer is that you have a nack for brewing pretty good beer from extract. If you have a couple of empty carboys and just feel like you need to fill them, but you don't want an 8 hour brew day, you can fill them both in about 4 hours with extract. Shhhh... that's a little secret we'll keep to ourselves that the hard-core AG brewers don't know about. Expecially when they're drinking one of your beers and complementing you on how good it is. I still brew extract from time to time. 6-8 hour brew days are murder some times... especially when life and family gets in the way.

I brewed for three years before my first all grain brew. For the last seven years, I have done all-grain, partial mash, or extract depending on the beer and the time I had to brew with.

Currently, I'm doing extract 2.25 gallon batches because of our housing situation, which has me extremely limited on space, and adjusting to a new career, which has me extremely limited on time. The fast brew day is nice and most of the beers I've made lately have turned out well (save for some Coopers/Mr. Beer kits- extract twang city.)

Even so, I'm looking forward to the next move so I can get back to all-grain. I'm already considering my options for the E-Biab system I want to buy.

I brewed two kits then went to AG. It may seem like a big jump but do your homework and read up on it. Once you have the knowledge and write out your gameplan for brew day the only barrier is equipment. Just commit to doing it and you won't regret it!

I brewed 2 extract kits, then 1 BIAB (from recipe I got on HBT!), then went all grain and never looked back.

I brewed extract for about a year due to space constraints and my apartment complex wouldn't let me use a turkey fryer. Once I moved to Hawaii I was able to start brewing all grain, but it's only been in the last year or two that I've really been hitting my stride as a brewer.

There's always going to be a place for extracts even when you make the jump to AG

My favorite heavyweight Belgian I still brew extract purely because of the vast amounts of grain needed to make it, very much easier when the wort is at least half way pre-made for you.

Rather than buying "off the shelf" kits do a search for "extract recipe" - you'll start the process of becoming a true AG brewmaster.
Eventually, you'll create your own recipe even if it is partial extract... finally, you'll graduate all the way to AG if you persist

I did 4 or 5 extract kits before going all grain.I still do an occasional extract batch when i'm feeling lazy and need a quick brew for the kegerator.

I brewed 10 or a dozen extract brews, mostly fit, but a couple of recipes I more or less made up myself over about 3 years. I then went all-grain, brewing a few of what I call modified BIAB - a bag in my soon-to- be traditional mash tun, recirc and sparge as would be usual for all-grain. before I got around to building a manifold for it.
PLanning my 6th all-grain batch now.
Also doesn't count a couple batches of cider the past couple years.

I did all kinds of combos of extracts for nearly two years. Then I went to PB/PM BIAB some 10-12 batches ago. but there are still extract beers that I like.

Right now, there's a kit 'n kilo based beer in my fermenter, after three small BIAB's before it. Went the easy route because I wanted some beer and was too lazy for all the work and cleanup.

My first 3 batches were extract, and I couldn't wait to make the transition to AG.

It is like cooking to me, making something from scratch is self fulfilling. I would grow everything in my backyard for a batch if possible. Unfortunately, hops don't like the Texas heat. :mug:

I did about 5 extract kits before making the move. My concerns were lack of knowledge / experience, additional complexity, and all the extra stuff sitting around (tun & extra pots) for AG. Extract was nice to get the process started. While I was researching AG I started reading about BIAB and have been there ever since. I am still learning the complexities of recipe design, water treatment, etc. but like where I am at (just got a second place ribbon for a light lager at a local competition) with BIAB. I am glad I started with extracts but being able to use the different grains in varying amounts to get recipes more to my liking is what I need.

I never stopped. I regularly switch between extract, partial-mash, and BIAB (all-grain). Depends on the beer I'm making, the ingredients I have on hand, how long I want to spend on brewday (extract is a bit faster), and just how much effort I want to put in to it. My extract beers are excellent, but BIAB is more "fun".

Brew the way you like. Experiment. There's no reason to limit yourself to one method.

(btw, upgrading my hardware to do all-grain (BIAB) took nothing more than buying a $3 paint strainer bag from Home Depot. It doesn't have to be an expensive investment.)

I did the exact same thing. Nothing wrong with brewing extract, but I really liked the idea of greater control over the process.

Me too. I started reading up on BIAB while extract batch #2 was fermenting. BIAB is so easy to do that I wish I had started this way. I may put together a mash tun for bigger beers but I do not see me ever doing extract again.

I did exactly 2 extract kits, then started doing partial mash. I haven't switched to AG, mostly because of space constraints. My stove can't handle the larger boils, and HWMO is doing.... something?... in the garage that makes it mostly unusable for things like setting up a burner or a mash tun (or, for that matter, much of anything, including parking cars.)

I plan to start playing with AG this winter, since he's been informed that whatever is happening in that garage needs to be done before the snow shows up.

Personally, I started with brewing my own recipes on an AG setup.

Go big or go home I said.

That being said, the way I did it is obviously not for everybody. I just typically jump with both feet into any hobby I get into.

I've been brewing 6-7 months. My first two batches were extract with steeping grains. Since then I've been brewing BIAB mini-mashes along with smaller batches of AG BIAB brews. I'm sure I'll toss in an extract brew in the future now and again depending on the style and the amount of time I have on brewday.

I started off doing the Mr. Beer thing for about a year before I went to the 5 gal extract w/grain kits. I think I did about 4-5 of those before I moved up to all grain. I still brew the extract kits when the pipeline runs low or if I don't have the time to do an all grain brew.

Thanks for all the replies...good to know i'm not alone wanting to go away from extract kits so soon:D

I think I'll take a stab at BIAB for my next batch.

I did about 10 extract kits then made up some extract recipes, then switched to AG.
Since the switch my beers are way better. Ive discovered there are always additional upgrades you can make to go up another notch "potentially." I say that because sometimes you can spend alot of money and not get any improvement because you have an issue in another step in your process. I still make a extract recipe sweet stout because it was so perfect the first time and the 5 other times since that I didnt feel the need to convert.

There are always upgrades

all grain
your own crush
stir plate
water chemistry
different mashing techniques
full boils
first wort hopping
making starters

the list goes on and on.

I started ag. I knew if i was to do extract that i would eventually want to go ag. So instead of spending time and cash on equipment that i would knowingly replace I just did a lot of reading and went with it. Not the best for everyone, but I made it work.

I started ag. I knew if i was to do extract that i would eventually want to go ag. So instead of spending time and cash on equipment that i would knowingly replace I just did a lot of reading and went with it. Not the best for everyone, but I made it work.

thats been one of my fears also, the need to replace or update stuff.
I have been fortunate so far. I am addicted to brewing and reading and learning all this.

I have been fortunate so far. I am addicted to brewing and reading and learning all this.

I'm probably getting off topic here but this has been one of the lessons that I've learned with my various hobbies over time - I'd prefer to buy quality equipment that I will grow into than to buy beginner equipment that I will grow out of and replace. Not to suggest that people should jump into a 3 tier AG system right out of the gate, but for certain things (for example a good large kettle) its better to just get something that will meet your needs down the road a bit even if it is more than what you need for an extract batch.

I've been brewing since September 2009. The William Moore's Summer Beer bottled conditioning is my first extract brew.

I started on extract, went to all grain, and now do a fair amount of extract when I just want a quicker brew day. You can get some great kits that taste great. Sometimes, the time savings is totally worth it.

I brewed 4 Mr Beer kits before switching to all grain. If it is hot out and I don't want to stand in front of a roaring burner I will do a stovetop partial mash biab. Extract is waaaay faster, but I enjoy being able to control every aspect of my beer and my pallette is sensitive to extract. Last weekends double brew day turned out 2 10 gallon batches, an Imperial Porter and a triple-decocted Oktoberfest, start to finish was 13 hours.

I brewed 2 extract kits, then 1 BIAB (from recipe I got on HBT!), then went all grain and never looked back.

Did you use extracts with your BIAB? /sarcasm BIAB is AG, just a different method. /pet peeve

There's always going to be a place for extracts even when you make the jump to AG

My favorite heavyweight Belgian I still brew extract purely because of the vast amounts of grain needed to make it, very much easier when the wort is at least half way pre-made for you.

Rather than buying "off the shelf" kits do a search for "extract recipe" - you'll start the process of becoming a true AG brewmaster.
Eventually, you'll create your own recipe even if it is partial extract... finally, you'll graduate all the way to AG if you persist

You can also just go to the recipe section and select an extract recipe. You can also do AG without making your own recipes. Go to the recipe section.

Thanks for all the replies...good to know i'm not alone wanting to go away from extract kits so soon:D

I think I'll take a stab at BIAB for my next batch.

I vote this. You can get 5 gallon paint filter bags at Lowes or HD fro a few dollars. That's how I started after 2 extract batches.

I haven't had to do that yet, although I'm borderline needing to because I want to do bigger batches. That's the great thing about stove-top BIAB, you can use so much of the equipment from extract. I eventually made a MT from a bucket w/CPVC manifold and get 85% eff and buy grain in bulk to save money, but I still boil on the stove (gas included in rent also saves money:ban:). When I do upgrade, I'll definitely get a large pot (10-15 gallons) to allow me to do large batches if I need to.

I brewed 4 Mr Beer kits before switching to all grain. If it is hot out and I don't want to stand in front of a roaring burner I will do a stovetop partial mash biab. Extract is waaaay faster, but I enjoy being able to control every aspect of my beer and my pallette is sensitive to extract. Last weekends double brew day turned out 2 10 gallon batches, an Imperial Porter and a triple-decocted Oktoberfest, start to finish was 13 hours.

That's quite an accomplishment!

I'm liking PB/PM BIAB atm. More control of colors & flavor complexities is great fun. Half the fun is studying which grains give what flavors in what quantities.:tank:

I did one extract kit (It came out fantastic) then I moved to all grain. I did maybe two more since then just for fun. I love being able to brew in my kitchen.

Back