How long can you keep a brew in a sealed bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yolag

Reaction score
So this is very much a me not paying attention thing but long story short. This is my second brew.

My first brew, although a complete disaster, sat nicely in 12 750ml bottles. Without thinking I bought another 12 bottles not realizing this new brew was expected to make about twice the previous one. So today after sanitizing, transferring and bottling I now have half a bucket left still needing to be bottled.

I sealed the bottling bucket immediately to try and keep O2 to a minimum but it's likely going to be a day before I can get another batch of bottles. Is it worth keeping the brew or should I just dump it because it will go off? Are there any tricks for prolonging it?

May as well bottle it and hope for the best.

Is this wine? Did you add sulfite when racking to the bottling bucket?

If it's beer, you added priming sugar to the bucket before bottling?

Sorry, it's a beer. Brown Ale.

This recipe actually had me add sugar straight to the bottle so there's none right now.

The 750mL bottles threw me off.

Soooo... I would add some sugar to help the yeast consume oxygen and produce CO2 to displace oxygen from the headspace (the air in the bottling bucket).
2oz (60g) should be OK. Make sure the lid can allow gas to escape.

Normally you add priming sugar solution directly to the bottling bucket before putting the beer in there. Priming bottles individually doesn't make much sense unless you're bottling directly from the fermenter.

Welcome to HBT! Hope your future brews are successful.

I'm in the never dump camp.... Either your mistake will age out (time heals many, but not all, wounds), or you should drink all of that nasty swill to teach yourself a lesson...
[emoji16]

Drink enough of those and you won't make that mistake again! [emoji23]

Back