How long can I leave a keg tapped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoop

Reaction score
I have only been kegging for a few months, and just use picnic taps on my corny kegs in my garage fridge.

However I haven't been able to find any information on how long I can leave the taps connected to the kegs? Is there a risk of infection after a certain amount of time? Does the line add off flavours?

Yup. If you go a long time inbetween pours you might want to pour out the first couple ounces, but that's about it.

I have a keg that has been tapped for 13 months(only 1/2 gone so far), it's not one of my favorites and is hoppy to the point it will pucker your face, which isn't bad if you like hoppy beers. Some of my tasters pull a pint or two from time to time. The real problem is that the screaming squirts, that will have you throwing away your underwear, and waddling to 7-11 for toilet paper

What if you have actual taps on the fridge, I've heard those need to be cleaned on a regular basis. Is this true?

If you can leave them tapped, how does it work for pubs? Some brag they clean their lines weekly, does this matter?

Clean those cobra taps. Unscrew the top, and prepare to hurl.

That is NOT plastic, it is a bacterial biofilm. Peel it out, soak the parts in hot oxy, then a dip in star san solution.

Picnic taps get NASTY, but they are easy to clean.

:ban:

Would having a container of sanitizer in my fridge (changed every few Weeks) that I sat the picnic taps in keep them somewhat clean? I clean everything between brews, its just the time between I'm worried about.

If nobody else does anything like that, then I'll keep em tapped until I decide otherwise! Thanks for the info!

Back