How long before repitching for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colhep67

Reaction score
If I allow my beer to ferment for 2 weeks in my primary do I need to repitch yeast before bottling?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

If I allow my beer to ferment for 2 weeks in my primary do I need to repitch yeast before bottling?

Not if you didn't have any problem with the yeast during fermentation. If everything went normally, there will be enough living yeast swimming around in your beer to eat the priming sugar and carbonate your beer in the bottles.

Not in my experience (minimal as it is).

Nope. All that you'll accomplish is to make your beer "yeasty".:drunk:

Re-pitching a small amount (like 1/5 a packet) of yeast prior to bottling is for stuff that has been long-term aging (months) or lagering (also months).

No need to repitch after two weeks. FWIW, I just bottled an imperial stout that fermented for three months (two and a half months in secondary) - it carbonated just fine.

Nice! Thanks guys!

Back