How late can I add O2 to a BIG beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Hi there!
I brewed a BIG IRS yesterday with OG at 1.134. I dosed it with a little over a minute with pure o2 with o2 tank and stone and was wondering if I could/If i SHOULD do so again today? I wouldn't be able to do so until about 24ish hour after yeast pitched. I used 3 packets of Safale 05 for it.

Thoughts??

Thanks all!

Matt

I just brewed a Bourbon County Stout clone with 1.135 OG and the instructions recommended to "consider" re-oxygenating 12 hours post pitching... TBH I tried it and failed. The beer already was blowing off at the 12 hour mark and when I introduced the stone, it foamed up like crazy even on a low setting. I would imagine you would need to turn the stone on VERY low and or have adequate headspace to accommodate the foam up. I used a huge starter (stepped to 10L) and made it to 1.042 but that was my fault with yeast choice not tolerating the 12% ABV. I am pitching TYB Dry Ale tomorrow to dry it out a little more.

You should definitely hit it with O2 tomorrow. Probably the next day as well. I forget who it was that I read in an article a long time ago that said you should oxygenate 1.10+ OG beers for 3-6 days after pitching and fermentation has begun. 1 minute is a good start, but you're yeast arent gonna survive without more. I just finished up primary on a 1.095OG barleywine that I hit with 45secs before pitching and 3o secs for 2 days after that once fermentation had started.

awesome! Thanks! I seem to remember listening to a Can you Brew it podcast about Dogfish 120 clone and I thought they said they hit it with O2 at least 2-3 times, but it's been a long time!
I'll do it again today at least and then if someone else chimes in about any other thoughts.
Thanks!

Fermcaps is fine during fermentation

Screenshot_20171104-085616.jpg

Also useful for maximizing the volume of a starter vessel on a stir-plate...

Cheers!

That's pretty much all I use it for, I have 7 gallon fermentors and rarely brew anything over 8%, so krausen is never crazy

Back