How I Clean my Electric Element - Dryfire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got 5500W ripple element in my system. They are ultra low wattage density (ULWD) elements. These are the Camco "2963".

If your elements are not ULWD, or they are not ripple, or they are not long and folded back, I wouldn't do this. These elements are meant to survive a dry-fire event. If your elements gives up the ghost when you do this, sorry. It's worked for me for a while.

I tapped on the element at the end to show that the stuff just falls off after getting fried.

I sped the video up 5x.

• Rinse off (for this video, I didn't do this; they were already clean, so I fired for a a few seconds to give them a nice layer of crap on them, then I fired again redhot and burnt it off).
  • Fire at full power until it gets cherry red.
  • Turn off.
  • Let cool for at least 5 minutes.
  • Hose off.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it just be easier to run PBW in the system? That would probably clean it just as good.

Wouldn't it just be easier to run PBW in the system? That would probably clean it just as good.

No sir. First, it's not easier at all. I used to do that. Waste 15g water, waste an hour (or more) heating and running the pump, then hose it off. Then realize the black spots of whatever on the element are still there. It did clean everything pretty well (except the element), but by then I'm on to other stuff around the house. I like to clean up as soon as I'm done brewing.

Second, if you get any black scorched stuff on your element, PBW won't take it off. You can add TSP to the PBW (did that) or scrape the element with a SS brillo pad (don't do this, damage), no dice. Dryfire is instant and complete.

Nice and simple. I second the recirculating PBW etc through everything is such a pain. Need to do it for my HERMS coil though unfortunately. I just hose and sponge everything else.

I use incolloy ULWD elements and they have all failed soon after briefly dry firing. Personally, I think you will shorten the life of your elements. If the ease of cleaning is worth it for you - then go for it. My approach is to cover my elements with water, add PBW and heat up to about 150 F. I then use a green 3M scrubbie to remove the proteinacious debris from the element. It comes off quite easily. YMMV.

Ya I gotta believe dry firing is notsuch a good idea. They were not "meant for this" as they are meant to be under liquid at all times.

Anyway, to each his own!

-BD

I agree, it's doesn't look like a good way to treat an element. So far no issues, but if the element burns out or becomes otherwise damaged, I'll be sure to report back here.

Yeah, these elements are not supposed to be dry fired.

I usually just fill just enough water in kettle to cover the elements, add PBW and boil for a few minutes while I clean other components. I'll then turn the element off and use a stiff brush that is used to clan the spouts on my tap and that scrubs anything left off.

The hot PBW doesn't go to waste either as I then bring it to a boil again and recirculate it through my CFC to clean that out (boiling hot PBW flushes that out in no time!) and then I will use the hot PBW to clean other items that was used on brew day.

Give it all a good flush and it's ready to go.

Yes it may be time consuming but it gets everything really nice and clean without the risk of damaging the elements. If you dry fire those elements to long, the coating on them can start to crack and in VERY rare cases, cause a short!

I accidentally D/F’d mine a few months ago. Thing was cherry red! The smell was brutal but it did clean up nicely and it has shown no ill effects from it. Not scientific by any stretch, but these may be more tolerant than we believe.

Old thread, I know, but I was doing some searches....

I'm wondering if hitting the element with a propane torch would be a good way to clean it? You'd be hitting the gunk directly, there would be less heating of the element shell, and much less heating of the heating element itself.

I assume water heater elements are similar to this:

800px-Calrod-1A.jpg

Yes, not as convenient, but it seems safer (well, for the element, not so much if you set your house on fire!).

Old thread, I know, but I was doing some searches....

I'm wondering if hitting the element with a propane torch would be a good way to clean it? You'd be hitting the gunk directly, there would be less heating of the element shell, and much less heating of the heating element itself.

I assume water heater elements are similar to this:

800px-Calrod-1A.jpg

Yes, not as convenient, but it seems safer (well, for the element, not so much if you set your house on fire!).

Sure, that sounds like a winner idea (though, I prefer the simplicity of just flicking the switch). Note that you can't dryfire an element with a stainless steel sheath (as illustrated above). Apparently those don't tolerate it well.

Back