How Great will this tatse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
So on Saturday I did my first 2 biab brews and feel pretty good about them. First one went off without a hitch except my numbers were a little low. Probably because of grinnd. Second one too, except I forgot 1 part. I brewed the light hybrid beer #10 in brewing classic styles book, which is a cream ale. I put 5 lbs of the pilsner and 2 row instead of the 4.75 lbs the recipe calls for. Og was supposed to be 1.050 and fg of 1.009. I think I hit numbers pretty good as my preboil was 1.042 and fermentor gravity of 1.054. Here is where i may have screwed up though. I put in 1 lb of flakes rice for he rice syrup but forgot the .75 of sugar.

Can I still add the sugar if I boil it in a cup or 2 of water or should I let it be? What ia the augar supposed to do anyway.

The added sugar would boost the alcohol. Sounds like you already have a decent ABV around the 5 percent range. Leave it alone and let the yeast do their thing.

The .75 lbs of sugar might have been for bottling? Otherwise it was just a fermentable sugar and shouldn't affect the taste, it would just pack slightly less of a punch (ABV)

Thanks for the quick replies. Also I mashed at about 151-152 as I did not have the recipe in front of me and it called for me to mash at 149 for 90 minutes and boil for 90 and add a touch more water. I only did 60 minute mash and boil but did do a mash out at 169 and kept dunking in and out until the mash out then let settle for 10 minutes at 169. Also slaves 1.5 gallons and pressed grains out and preboil volume of 6.5 gallons.

Back