How does wild fermented cider age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmccraney

Reaction score
I just got my hands on some raw cider, but it had already begun to ferment before I got my hands on it. I knocked the wild yeast back w campden tablets before pitching some Nottingham yeast to ensure a safer flavor, but this is still very much a wild fermentation. What is the best practice for aging wild cider? Should I give it a few months before bottling like I've seen recommended for clean cider, or will things tend to go awry over time? What kinds of changes will occur in the cider?

What it will do is really dependent on what the wild yeast strain(s) were.

I personally wouldn't treat it any differently than I do any other cider.

It could be fantastic, or it could be crap. You never know. But, if the Nottingham has kicked in, you might be alright. Wait and see just like always.

I have never used a campden tablet but if it killed the wild yeast won't it kill your Nottingham yeast too?

I have made it both ways and personally the wild yeast tasted better, especially after a year or so.

My buddy makes some really good ciders using Nottingham and they are quite drinkable in 6-8 weeks.

Honestly a little wild yeast fermentation isn't gonna hurt anything, so long as you get a dominant culture going. I don't know what the kill factor of Notty is but IMO multiple, including wild, yeasts tend to create diversity and character in many things, from beer to cider to wine. Brew on.

I personally wouldn't treat it any differently than I do any other cider.

Sounds good to me.

I have never used a campden tablet but if it killed the wild yeast won't it kill your Nottingham yeast too?

If you wait 24 hrs, the sulfite clears and you can safely pitch your yeast. Here's an interesting read on sulfite, especially in the context of cider: http://www.cider.org.uk/sulphite.html

I don't know what the kill factor of Notty is but IMO multiple, including wild, yeasts tend to create diversity and character in many things, from beer to cider to wine. Brew on.

Hmm, not sure, but I think most beer yeasts are kill factor sensitive? There's not much info on a strain by strain basis.

But after checking up on the cider, the campden tablets didn't really do much. It looks like the wild yeast ate it for breakfast and went back for seconds of apple. I really don't think the Notty (or the spanish cider dregs culture I pitched in the second batch) really stand a chance. Pretty aggressive stuff. Thanks for the advice guys!

Back