How does this sound for a porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver95

Reaction score
Hi all how does this sound for a chocolate porter recipe

7 lbs 2 row
1 crystal 60
1 oatmeal
.5 rice hulls
.5 chocolate malt
1oz norther brew at 75min
8oz cocoa at 5min
white labs english ale yeast
protein rest 30min
mash at 154 45 min cook the oatmeal and add at to mash
mash out

boil for 90min
This is out of my head, so my question is am I out of my mind?

Looks okay, ditto on the quick oats.

My preferences: 2 oz of Black Patent is mandatory for any porter I make and C120L or Special B.

your recipe looks good but on the sweet and lighter side of porter -

black patent is for the color and the bitter, rough taste - although less than roasted barley, which most folks use for stout -
ditto on the C 120 or Special B - it will give you a rich, dark, caramel background...
but you might not want that -
in a way, if you skip the black patent, you can skip the 120 - because they balance each other IMO

there was a good issue of BYO all about porter not too long ago btw

I'd go with a shorter protein rest. At 30 min. you are on the edge where you could break down the proteins too much. I never go over 20 min using Pilsner malt (2-row) and even shorter, if at all when using pale malt.

Other than that it looks pretty good

I was gonna suggest lowering the temp of the protein rest to the upper end of a beta-glucan rest (say 114 F or so) and keeping it at 15-20 minutes. But that just makes getting it up to sacc rest temps that much harder and I don't know your system. Some folks may not need rice hulls at 3x or more the amount of oats but others might.

I just tapped a barreled Robust Porter that used only 1/2# of flaked barley but I did a short glucan rest anyway. Out of the barrel, that beer finished lower than I expected (1.014 from 1.069) but it has a very fine-bubbled head that lasts and is velvety smooth and full-bodied.

I don't know what your tastes for chocolate are but did a chocolate stout in nov. with 8 oz of chocolate powder at the end of the boil and still find it a bit much. I'll cut it down to 4-5 oz next time I brew it. In a porter its bound to come through even more. But thats only my preference.

Latest posts

Back