How does my gingerbread milk stout recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik van den berg

https://www.instagram.com/odrbrewing/
Reaction score
E8D5037B-0726-440B-A253-0249FE7F44EA.png
019A4891-1E91-4830-AFF2-6F3F049F4EAF.png
BEDA669F-D068-4EBF-AAE7-18E11E63CA6E.png
3D7D748E-FDA6-4003-A12A-4B3408D19B3E.jpeg
527B2BF8-F253-4EAC-A3CE-23E0FD699FE0.png

I’ve ever only brewed IPA’s (I have home recipes for NEIPA, west coast style DIPA, and a simple APA/IPA) and lagers but want to try a “Christmas beer”. AGingerbread milk stout. I don’t even really like stouts at all but just want to venture there!

I want a 2.5 gallon batch (I always make 5 gallon batches) which has a full mouthfeel, heavy on the spice and high ABV. I usually keg but this will be bottled in 750ml bottles. I’ve come up with a recipe that is really (too?) high in OG but messing with the fermentables yields lower ABV and I don’t want to go lower on the lactose... I want to mash in at 1.5qt/lb at 156F for 90 min and boil for 60min. I attached Brewer’s Friend screenshots, any pointers/advice would be appreciated!!

(I’m posting this on my iPhone and I think the screenshots appeared at the top of this post..what a mess but o well)

There's no need to mash for 90 minutes. Do you recirculate during mash or sparge? I'd recommend at least a batch sparge to help you get all the sugars out of the mash. When I do really high OG grain bills, I like to do two batch sparges to really make sure I get all the sugar out.

For the spices, I would save the vanilla (and maybe the ginger) for secondary. You'll get a lot more flavor to remain if you add it after a week. If you're worried about sanitation, soak the vanilla and ginger in bourbon or vodka for a day or two before adding it.

Also, why both lactose and maltodextrine? If that's what you have on hand and you need to use it, then that's fine but there isn't really a need to use both.

I might also try to mash a little lower in temp to get that FG down into the 1.020-1.030's range

Almost 60% adjunct? That’s going to be cloying verging on undrinkable. You need at least 70% base malt to carry the weight of the other flavors, including the lactose. Not to mention you’ve got a lot of specialty malts doing the same thing (Victory and Biscuit; lactose and maltodextrin). If you can’t pick a unique reason for including an ingredient, it doesn’t belong in the recipe.

I have to confess — I hate spiced beers. A small amount of coriander in a wit or Gose is about all I can stomach. That notwithstanding, your spice additions are way too heavy handed. I would aim for no more than 0.1 oz / gal for dosage initially, then increase the amount from there. You can always add more if it’s underwhelming initially. Especially when it comes to cinnamon and vanilla...the most I’ve seen used is one stick or pod per 5 gallons.

Almost 60% adjunct? That’s going to be cloying verging on undrinkable. You need at least 70% base malt to carry the weight of the other flavors, including the lactose. Not to mention you’ve got a lot of specialty malts doing the same thing (Victory and Biscuit; lactose and maltodextrin). If you can’t pick a unique reason for including an ingredient, it doesn’t belong in the recipe.

I have to confess — I hate spiced beers. A small amount of coriander in a wit or Gose is about all I can stomach. That notwithstanding, your spice additions are way too heavy handed. I would aim for no more than 0.1 oz / gal for dosage initially, then increase the amount from there. You can always add more if it’s underwhelming initially. Especially when it comes to cinnamon and vanilla...the most I’ve seen used is one stick or pod per 5 gallons.

lol ok... and that's why I posted it here before brewing it.. Like i said, i have never brewed a stout but even moreso: I have never brewed with spices. I like to brew with relatively simple malt bills and get all my flavors and aroma's out of hops..

I'm going to play with that recipe a little more. Should i get rid of the victory and use 7lbs of Maris Otter as my base malt? Or shall just revert back to the old pale 2-row? Get rid of Maltodextrin and add more lactose?

There's no need to mash for 90 minutes. Do you recirculate during mash or sparge? I'd recommend at least a batch sparge to help you get all the sugars out of the mash. When I do really high OG grain bills, I like to do two batch sparges to really make sure I get all the sugar out.

For the spices, I would save the vanilla (and maybe the ginger) for secondary. You'll get a lot more flavor to remain if you add it after a week. If you're worried about sanitation, soak the vanilla and ginger in bourbon or vodka for a day or two before adding it.

Also, why both lactose and maltodextrine? If that's what you have on hand and you need to use it, then that's fine but there isn't really a need to use both.

I might also try to mash a little lower in temp to get that FG down into the 1.020-1.030's range

Thanks for the suggestions.. I was planning on a 'regular' two step mash/sparge without re circulation.

thanks for the guidance on the spices. I've never brewed with spices so that was just lack of experience.

I have no reason to use both lactose and maltodextrine other than reading about their uses and adding them both in my recipe.. If they do the same, i'll stick with the lactose. Do i increase the amount?

I def agree on pulling back on spices, maybe just 1 vanilla bean and 1 cinnamon stick, and maybe only consider .5 - 1 oz tops of fresh ginger, it's some strong stuff. With any spice in beer, even heavier and darker beer, a little goes a long way. Also agree that these flavors will come through more if added in secondary.

I think you could also drop the maltodextrine, and adding a little extra lactose wouldn't be out of place in a beer like this. Subbing maris otter for victory might be good and maybe some roasted barley, but I think the rest of your grain bill looks good.

Also +1 to the previously mentioned mash suggestion, the honey you have, (maybe even add a little more) would also help to dry it out and wouldn't affect the flavor.

OK I made some changes.. What do y'all think?

I am expecting 2 or 3 weeks in primary and then another 4 weeks or so in secondary. Then bottle to carbonate/age. This style probably needs less carbonation than IPAs/lagers? Do i use half the priming sugar or less or none at all?

GBS.JPG

OK I made some changes.. What do y'all think?

I am expecting 2 or 3 weeks in primary and then another 4 weeks or so in secondary. Then bottle to carbonate/age. This style probably needs less carbonation than IPAs/lagers? Do i use half the priming sugar or less or none at all?

View attachment 580876

Looks a lot better. IMO milk stouts don’t need that much roasted malt, but if you’re looking to age it I’m sure the flavors will mellow out in time. Stouts are good for 2.0-2.4 volumes, around the same as an IPA.

I never reported back on this.

It turned out amazing! Great balance in the spice and malt despite me messing up with my efficiency (got only to 8.6% ABV). It went really fast but i managed to save 1 bottle which I will open around Christmas time (when it's aged over a year). Definitely doing a 5 gallon batch this year!

Back