how does hop use change when scaling up recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningweird

Reaction score
Is there a change in hop utilization as you go from say, a 10 or 5 gallon batch to a 3 bbl batch? I've found some sources saying that you get increased bitterness from normally scaled hop use - so 1 ounce at 60 for a 5 gallon batch might give you 35 IBUs, but 100 ounces for a 500 gallon batch could yield drastically more bitter beer.

Or.. how does it change when dropping from 5gal to 1g or 2g batches.? I've seen it as simple as divide everything by 5 and then upscale that by 2 or 2.5 or 3.. for different size batched.. Still not comfortable that that's correct. Guess I'll have to experiment :)

I just put the scenario through an online calculator and the IBUs remained the same. Intuitively, it doesn't seem it should change. But who knows. Biochemistry is surprising.

I thought hop utilization is lower for partial boils (at least with high-IBU recipes, since you're loading the IBU potential of the boil and then cutting it with 0 IBU water) but scales fine with batch size.

Latest posts

Back