How do you wire a float switch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAm

Reaction score
I'm looking to automate my sparge by turning on and off my chugger pump with a stainless float switch. But I don't know to wire the switch and relay, or what relay to get.

This is the float switch I was looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XBG6B3A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Could anyone show me the light with getting this going? I can follow a simplified picture but can't read a technical diagram. I could possibly follow a written description but would probably be asking a few questions.

Thanks a ton!!

Last edited by a moderator:
with that float switch it's best if you use low voltage (it can only handle .5a of electricity) to activate a 120v relay. It says it can handle 120v but the low amperage worries me. I want to wire a valve to shut off the water my to brew kettle when it reaches the volume of water I want. I'm sure my use of a relay will set off a discussion but I'm looking from the safety angle.

with that float switch it's best if you use low voltage (it can only handle .5a of electricity) to activate a 120v relay. It says it can handle 120v but the low amperage worries me. I want to wire a valve to shut off the water my to brew kettle when it reaches the volume of water I want. I'm sure my use of a relay will set off a discussion but I'm looking from the safety angle.

I agree with using a relay. Something like a 12V DC coil.

Brew on :mug:

What about a 120v contactor so they can avoid the dc converter?
Put a fuse in series with the float switch to the relay's coil?

What about a 120v contactor so they can avoid the dc converter?
Put a fuse in series with the float switch to the relay's coil?

The switch is rated at 220V breakdown, 100V AC/DC max switching. I wouldn't switch 110/120 VAC with this switch.

Brew on :mug:

I agree with the relay design. Like a fotek 20 amp. But how do you wire that to the switch and power?

So what I did was use a DC power supply to the DC side of the relay. I put the float switch between the DC power negative and the DC negative on the relay. I used the AC side to switch on and off the hot leg.

Testing out good, can't wait to try it for real next week!

You could use the guts out of an old phone charger to power the float/relay if you wanted to go the low voltage rout. It says it can handle up to 220VAC, so you could find plenty of relays. If you is a 12 VDC wall wort to power it you could use a cheap relay don your automotive store. There are tons of super cheap 1, 2, 4, 8, etc relay boards on eBay that are sold for 3.3, 5, 9, 12, and even 24 VDC. It's a grey plan. It's one I've also designed into my system. I'm contemplating also using two floats in a small grant to control the mash pump for sparking. A low level switch will shut the lip off, and a high level switch will stay the pump.

Back