How do you "tighten" swing top bails?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rey830

Reaction score
I've read several threads where the suggestion was to somehow tighten the swing tip bail to increase the amount of force that is used to hold the cap in place. I recently purchased some new EZ tops which fit noticeably more loose than the original ones I had (which rusted and pitted). The original ones take some effort to snap down into place. These, not so much. Almost too easy which makes me think it may not hold carbonation.

Can anyone give me instructions on how to tighten these bails, if possible? My other thought is not to worry about it because the bails were hot when I attached them (boiled to sterilize), and metal expands. Also, the cap is making contact with the lip of bottle so as CO2 pressure increases the cap will not move.

I also noticed the cap was smaller than the originals, I'm hoping that's not an issue. I'll try to include a pic.
2npv.jpg

bbnb.jpg

cx6t.jpg

Back